WSL: Traceroute not finding any hops

(Links in this question are spelled out to avoid the two-link limit.)
When I run the traceroute command, it returns a ton of asterixes without finding any hops. For example, the command “traceroute googledotcom” returns the following:

traceroute to google.com (172.217.15.78), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 * * *
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

I read on another forum that the problem could be fixed by switching to the TCP program with “sudo traceroute -T googledotcom”, but that just returns another error:

socket: Protocol not supported

On the other hand, the ping command is working fine, so I know it’s not a problem with my internet connection. Any idea how I can fix this?

WSL doesn’t support traceroute now. There are many GitHub issues about traceroute. If you have basic idea about socket, bind, connect etc. in Linux I can explain the reason.

Traceroute should be run as root.

That’s unfortunate; guess I can just use tracert on command prompt though. I’m a network infrastructure noob and don’t know anything about those other concepts; where would you recommend I go to learn more about them? Thank you very much for your help!

Warning, do not start learning Unix world with Windows Subsystem For Linux (WSL). The main goal of WSL is for developers (like gcc, ruby, node etc). I would suggest to use a slim-trim Linux distribution (for example, Debian) to start learning.

I am not also very much familiar with Linux world. @michaeltunnell may help.

I can help with Linux but WSL is not Linux. WSL is a compatibility layer for some parts of Linux systems to be used inside of Windows but the Linux kernel is not one of the parts so it’s not really Linux at all but rather a porting of Linux based tools.

I have not used Windows for more than VM testing stuff in years so I can’t help with anything related to Windows.

If you want to use Linux directly or want to try out Linux in a virtual machine I’d be happy to help but my experience has been exclusive to Linux for about a decade, I think I’ve used Windows 10 no more than 5 hours during its existence so I wont be helpful with anything Windows-centric.

However, @GlyphicEngineer if you are interested in learning Linux I’d be happy to help with that.