Windows 10-Create static IP ADDRESS to allow client business apps to connect to server

My windows 10 PC is my Business apps Server whose client is an iMac running the Business apps networked Client Business apps, under Virtual windows 7. ( don’t get nervous, been doing WLAN’ed & LAN’ed PCs TO Macs running VIRTUAL WINDOWS since Win95).
The PC server always used a static IP address, (some google server config which I forgot), to allow the client to connect either wirelessly or WIRED, when the network became wired. I later changed to a dynamic ip, chosen by DCHP (Netgear router, Spectrum internet service). It worked flawlessly, either way. When in DCHP mode, I just had to get the servers new, daily IP address, & enter that when I’d boot the business app, in the client iMac.

I moved my office to a new location that does not yet have a communication cable installation (for cable modem type internet services) that runs to my office. I will have to have this cable installed myself, so I can have Spectrum transfer my 200/100 service to this new location. That will make a few weeks to do.
It does have a vintage Verizon system installed, (1/7 speed) that is in use by an associate for his phones , internet , & networked computers. Both my PC AND IMAC are temporarily wifi’ed into his Verizon network, as well as Networked by cat-6 into a small wired router box, that continues to his network router: both computers now have internet &email access, (including the Mac & Virtual win7 sides of the iMac). I think that access is via WiFi only.
But when I C-prompt the PC for an IP ADDRESS, it does give me an IPV4 (192.168.1 x), but no IPV6 address, (Instead, it gives me a hexadecimal string for that). When I try to use the IPV4 address to connect, after opening the Network business apps or the Client iMac, it “CANT FIND THE SERVER…”
My credit card machines, and printer, do not work either. They were also cat-5’ed into that mini router (that both computers are plugged into), that then is single wired into my associates main router. His IP PERSON did this temporary setup.
Questions:

1. Will assigning a static IP ADDRESS IN WINDOWS 10, in the server computer, allow the business apps in the client iMac to connect? How do I do this? Where will I find this IP ADDRESS, when I do my daily C-prompt: ipconfig, inquiery on the server?
  2. Or, Should I CONNCT THE cat5 FROM both computers, the printer , and credit card machines, to my “trusty” Netgear Router from my Spectrum system, and THEN plug THAT into his main router.
    -Will the credit card machines then function as they did?
    -Will that make the printer visible on his WiFi network?
  3. Will that then assign an IP ADDRESS THAT I can use to connect the business client to the server? Will that be a dynamic IP?
  4. Will configuring a static IP AT THIS TIME, THEN WORK?
    Any ideas would be appreciated! THANKS!

May I ask some information? How Windows 10 server is connected to iMac and what network interface is between the iMac host and Windows 7 guest VM? And why you use a VM? Connecting Win10 and Win7 directly will cost less resources (CPU cycles, RAM usage).

My business apps are PC ONLY. IM A Mac geek of 25 years. I’ve used virtual pc since wim 95 to run Pc apps on macs. I’ve already and currently WLAN ‘ed AND LAN’ed a PC running vista, win 7 pro, win 10, to macs bored as native PCs and or macs running WIN 7 pro VM’s. The hardware is a Netgear WiFi router, 3400 or 3700, and Spectrum-time Warner, and Optimum- cablevision Cable modems. Been doing this since 1990, so the successful hardware that I’ve used is not the issue. The issue is having to temporarily use Verizon’s hybrid service to get online and get email, and why My business server PC DOESNT GENERATE A DYNAMIC OR STATIC IP ADDRESS, THAT THE CLIENT PC ( again, don’t get nervous that it’s really a Mac) can use “to connect the client business apps to the Servers database app.”
My post is quite detailed- I’m asking what I have to do, to get something, like connecting my previous Netgear router to configure a dynamic IP like it did when used on my Old Spectrum network, or by configuring Win10 ‘s network preferences, to a STATIC IP ADDRESS NOW, so the Client PC CAN CONNECT TO THE SERVER PC. I hope that answers your questions. In some areas on midtown Manhattan, Verizon’s lines are burn to crisp, do they can only provide their ancient 1/7 internet service, while also having to provide these weird WiFi telephone modems to plug your phones into. Horrible, distorted phones, near walking dead internet service- old news to NYC GEEKS! I hope this info helps. Thanks!

The problem with static IP addresses, is the static address you set has to be available for use from the DHCP server or the connection won’t work.

Instead you need to have control over the DHCP server, or the person controlling it has to be amenable to your request. You want to set a ‘reservation’ on the DHCP server so that the IP address never changes for the server you are connecting, and no one else can use the address. So it sounds to me like you’ve been doing it the hard way for many years, since you said you had to get a new IP address daily.

DHCP servers are often housed on the router itself, you can certainly have one running on a server, but you don’t want both enabled at the same time on the same network. So if you are trying to issue DHCP addresses from your server when you are on someone else’s network, that might explain your problem.

The network admin of the borrowed network may have additional security in place to block rogue nodes from connecting to his network, so this is really a discussion you should have with him as to whether he is willing to accommodate your more elaborate temporary setup.

So my possible solution to plug both computers, the printer and credit card machines into my original Netgear router, and WAN cable that to his mini wired router should work?
Then it’s just a matter of setting a static up address in the router fir the windiws 10 PC, or set a static op in the win 10 control panel, so the business apps in the client can then connect to the server application ?

You wouldn’t want to have two routers on the same private network. The main purpose of a router is to be the gateway between two networks, but this is typically done in the context of going from public to public, or public to private; not private to private.

So your old setup could certainly work, but you would lose your internet connectivity because you are trying to route through another private network, you would need to disconnect the connection to the borrowed network in order for your DHCP to work.

I would just suggest discussing it with the network admin and requesting an IP reservation on their router for your server, they are already letting you borrow their internet so…in for a penny in for a pound as they say?

Then use my router, bypass his mini wired router that his IT person installed, and plug my router into wherever that mini router was plugged into?

You have to discuss with the network admin how their network is setup. Are you sure a router was setup by their IT, or could it just be a switch?

You really want to consult the network admin about your intentions, they are doing you a courtesy with your current setup. This isn’t your network, you shouldn’t be plugging things in beyond devices that just need basic internet connectivity without consulting with them. That is the quickest way to lose their good graces.

Yes it was a 4x1 switch. I removed it, substituted my good old Netgear WRDS 3700 router from my previous offices Spectrum based internet service, cat 5’ed my 2 charge machines, my canon WiFi printer, and the BUSINESS APP CLIENT iMac computer. The iMac instantly found MY GOOD OLD netgears, WiFi network, AND auto logged on. The pc server also found that same WiFi network and logged on.
When chrome, on either one, accessed the net,both chromes informed me the connection was NOT SECURE.
-BUT, BOTH COMPUTERS NETWORK CONTROL PANELS SAID IT WAS SECURE, AS ORIGINALLY SET UP.
-When I DID A c-prompt, IP CONFIGURE, ON THE PC SERVER, I only got an ipv4 address, and no ipv6 address,- hexadecimal code instead (the same #s as before the netgrar was tried in place of the 4x1).
**The CC machines worked, the printer didn’t , and the ipv4 again, did not connect the business client to the server.
Quickly switched both computers and the printer to my associates secure Verizon WiFi network that I had been using, and all became secure connections to the net, the printer worked by WiFi only, but still no Mac to pc business connection
I then tried to cat5 my vonage 2 line router to the netgear, and when that didn’t work, to the weird Verizon router (that his IT guy previously used to connect my phone lines directly to its phone inputs). The vonage router couldn’t be made to work in any configuration of where the cat5 wires were plugged; I kept hearing Verizon recorded messages when I tried to call out, “to properly configure the Verizon phone system first,” so both lines were again, plugged directly into that router using its phone line inputs,as before.

So, there is no workaround, to get my business up and running, with the Verizon service that’s in the office, that my associates are stuck with, that never worked right for them either!
***So the moral of the story is: I’m gonna have to have an electrician run a new line throughout the building, at my expense, if I want networked computers, internet service, 2 phone lines, and tv service…business as usual!

*****so, Once I’m up and running, I’ll re-inquire about how to set up the static in address in the new router that Spectrum will be supplying.
*****(The new. service is 200/400, which should blow away spectrums 10/100 speed that I had previously)
*****My last question and 1/2, ( I promise):
-Can the new installation of a single cable run, from the Communication Locker into my office, have sufficient bandwidth and speed, to handle , an be made to supply, 3 separate spectrum internet and dual phone line installations?
-Or will 3 separate systems require 3 separate cable runs?
Both associates now want to dump Verizon’s horrible, 1/7 service, (that’s I, was, nd will be forever, the only Choice from Verizon in my building),
Thanks to all, your help! It is so appreciated! SF

Well if you are running a new cable you might as well go cat6 (10Gb) for the fastest speeds and most protection against interference.

I would imagine one cable would be sufficient for internet connectivity, it is unlikely the speed you are getting from the ISP is going to surpass the capabilities of a single cat6. Where multiple cat6 cables would be an advantage is if you intend to transfer a lot of data between devices on your local network, but it doesn’t sound like you will be doing that.

And if you noticed that certain devices were having bandwidth issues, you could implement controls (QoS, speed caps) on the router to ensure that each device has the bandwidth it needs to operate properly, without one device hogging all the bandwidth.