Will OS make difference for updating bios? (HP laptop)

I’ve run into problem while trying to virtualise CentOS 7.5-2G on my HP Pavilion notebook (AMD a6). VMware Workstation gives me information, that “host supports AMD-V, but it is disabled.”, and “This host does not support “AMD RVI” hardware assisted MMU virtualization.”.
It is also mentioned in system information that AMD-V is disabled.
For all I come through, it is supposed to be an option in BIOS. Currently laptop is running version 1.6.0.0 all the way back from 2013, and the only settings in it are ram check, hdd check and language.
Now: Hp supports me with bios update F.39 Rev.A, which should be compatible with hardware, BUT: It is supposed to be for Windows 8.1. which model came with, and I’m running 10- Home.
Will it make a difference?

No BIOS/UEFI version doesn’t matter when it comes to running an OS. There are certain features that become available in newer firmware versions, and newer versions have also been known to fix hardware bugs.

In my experience for my personal computers I don’t bother to upgrade unless its for a feature I need or to fix a bug. Work computers we tend to always update to the latest version whenever possible.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 are close enough that any software designed for 8 should run just fine on 10.

You should be able to run the BIOS updater. Download it and give it a try; you’ll know soon enough if it doesn’t work (the program either won’t load at all or will give you an error when it tries to open your BIOS flash memory for writing.)

Thank you, I found the actual solution but the answer also satisfies my pure curiosity.
Actually, what I found was consumer bios, and had to access non-consumer one to which password I generated from bios-pw.org. I remember seeing it before actually but didn’t knew where to get password to it.

It crashes no matter what, and for what I’ve read it’s not always recomended for laptops. I may try to update it using the one that hp provides, and reply an update soon.

Personally I don’t like to run the update from Windows, I know people have had success with that but I feel there is a higher chance of something going wrong and the motherboard getting bricked.

I prefer to put it on a thumb drive and install the update before booting into Windows, I know Dell systems actually have a dedicated function that will verify the update is good before you proceed with the update, don’t know if HP has a similar feature.

That’s becoming more common (a BIOS-based flasher), but not everyone has that yet. Since new systems don’t have boot floppies any more, PC makers have been designing flashers to work from inside of Windows.

There’s really no more risk to flashing from inside of Windows than there is from using a boot disk. It’s really no different than using any other piece of hardware. In all cases, the system just writes data to specific ports to update the flash memory, and Windows based flashers just need to install a device driver to make that happen.

Alright, the update is done and was suprisingly easy process. The update file from hp was actually an entire updater which had also an option to create a bootable flash bios installer, a recovery flash (which obviously I did…) and even tried to create backup partition (?) on hdd (which actually failed creating, and without asking proceeded to flashing… ) The jump from 2013 bios to 2017 obviously seems to make it run a bit better (or a placebo). In overall surprised how easy the process was.
Release note actually said it’s compatible with win10-64, but who reads them.
These were really helpfull replies. Learned some- gained some. Thank you

Good job… now for the real question: Does VMWare run now?

(Also, just a side note, you can’t have Hyper-V installed or running if you want to use VMWare.)

Yup, it runs like a dream now. While accessing the actual bios had an opportunity to enable machine virutalization option, which is usually disabled by default in notebooks.

Yeah, it was disabled in this computer, too. I had to turn it on before VMWare and Hyper-V would work. Consider the fact that I run VMWare all day, every day, it was kind of important to have that working. =)