Upgrading from 7 to 10

I read a 2017 article in howtogeek (https://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-right-now/) about upgrading from win7 to 10. I would like to keep my current XPS 27" all-in-one PC because it has everything I want. The article doesn’t say anything about paying for 10. How does that work?

You missed the free upgrade boat by a year. You’ll basically have to pay to upgrade.

BUT… if I were you (assuming a home user who’s careful about clicking/downloading and all that)… if your current XPS / Win 7 set up does everything you want it to, why bother paying / upgrading and dealing with unstoppable updates that may or may not break things?

NO GUARANTEES, but again, if I were you, I’d just hang onto Win 7 and keep your browsers and email client updated (they’re how most all baddies get in nowadays) - and just exercise common-sense security. It also wouldn’t hurt if you get into the habit of using your computer as a “standard” user, as opposed to “administrator”.

Considering so many still use Win XP (despite all the write up’s of doom when its security updates stopped years ago, nothing widespread and devastating has actually happened) - your Win 7 will likely be very usable for years to come.

The WannCry malware hit XP systems hard, ended up costing a lot of business and the UK National Health Service millions to recover in 2017. Fully patched currently supported versions of Windows were immune.

Very true - but WannaCry was also something that a user had to click / download.

Obviously, no one will say that an unpatched OS can ever be just as safe as a patched, current one… but the odds? I just haven’t read about ‘massive’ home users falling prey because of outdated OS - even XP.

Why not? Very likely because of various mitigating factors: firewall, antimalware and browsers all kept up to date - and most importantly - home users who exercise care… If device is also used for work, then I think there is the fiduciary duty to a higher level of diligence.

i sure like the first answer, thanks, but even tho i am not a business the second responder does have a point. Probably i will live dangerously with 7.

thanks to both.

That’s because most people aren’t going to admit to having been burned due to their own failure to update after having been warned by the professionals for decades. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Still, there would be something reported from time to time? But no, not really.

In any case, I want to be careful to state again that I was ONLY saying if I were the one – everybody needs to research the facts and understand their own ‘anxiety tolerance’.

You still have a year left to use Windows 7 before support ends.

If you want to install Windows 10 you can actually install it for free if you don’t mind a watermark in the bottom right corner of your screen. Then one day if you feel like getting rid of the watermark is worth $100-200 you can buy a key and apply it to your current installation.