Ubuntu UNE 10.10 install hung at Password Stage

Hello Friends,

New to Linux, Ubuntu, Netbook Edition 10.10.

Downloaded the .iso.
Downloaded Rufus installer onto USB stick.
Rebooted Netbook, all proceeded nicely until reaching WHO ARE YOU password setup stage.

Filled out all fields (followed the UBUNTU online tutorial).

PROBLEM: The “Continue” box remains grayed-out and non-working, even though all fields have been filled out.

Solutions for completing installation of Ubuntu 10.10 onto Acer Aspire Netbook.

Thanks in advance.

Are you installing it in VirtualBox? Did you try YUMI instead of Rufus.

This issue is that you are trying to use an Ubuntu version that was released 9 years ago.

Ubuntu’s version system is based on the year and the month it was released. 10.10 = 2010, October

Ubuntu dropped their Netbook Edition since then so you’ll need to use something else. I would also suggest something based on Ubuntu 18.04 which is the latest long term support version of Ubuntu. Don’t worry, I’ll provide suggestions for you.

It says you are installing in VirtualBox with that screenshot but assume you are just using that screenshot as a reference to explain the issue. Is that correct?

What year model of this netbook do you have, be specific as possible.

You are likely just going to need to use a different version of Linux so that you can have an up to date version that will still run on the netbook. Though of course, keep in mind that netbooks aren’t the most powerful so you will be limited in what you can use unfortunately.

Once I have more information about what you have I will provide you with some suggestions.

I think Etcher is probably the best option for first time users.

That one is using Electron and NodeJS, which I am not very fond of.

Hello Biswa and Mike,

Thanks for responding. I should note what I am trying to do. I have refurbished and re-gifted (no charge) over 100 machines, mostly to kids, wounded vets, churches, what-have-you. Many of the machines I get are old, but still have life in them. But XP is very old and even VISTA (WIN 7) drivers have been taken offline by the manufacturers.

This is one of those machines. Labels have worn off or been taken off the bottom, and the only identifying marks and features are the ACER name-logo, ASPIREONE on the upper right of the keyboard/base, and an ATOM sticker on the lower left hand rest. As far as I can tell, this one has one 1Gig PC2100 module of DDR laptop (SODIMM?) memory. I have not been able to find a 2 or 4 Gig module.

How to breath new life into an old machine, which is otherwise in good condition?

I cast my eyes over to LINUX. Which edition is best? I read glowing reviews of Ubuntu, and especially of Ubuntu Netbook Edition. Yes, I have read of Lubuntu and other tee-tiny flavors of LINUX useful for this purpose.

I have also read that Ubuntu has merged UNE edition into its current desktop release.

Question: is this a larger size, eliminating the purpose-coded advantage you can get from UNE which, as I understand it, for ATOM-based machines?

Certainly UNE 10.10 is 10 years old, but then again, so is this machine.

Lastly, the screenshot is from a tutorial, since the load on the machine in question is not completed. NOTE: I hooked up an external monitor to the VGA connector and see that along the lower margin, the progress bar stalled at about 75% and below that, a clickable bar now visible indicating that the Install was going online to look for a time-based server ???

NEW QUESTIONS: If you think Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 / Rufus Installer will not accomplish the mission described above, which version of Ubuntu will be best, lightest, user-friendly, for an aging ATOM-based, 1 Gig machine?

QUESTION: DEUX: Since this machine, and assuming this project goes well, all the other machines that will follow it, installs nicely and works well with the hardware, is there an add-on which makes the user experience almost exactly like Windows 7 / XP. I have read of something like this and specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Linux can do this but, to be honest, I’d rather people try Linux on machines that aren’t on their last legs because people create their opinions of Linux on hardware that isn’t worth using which taints the impression of Linux as an OS.

With that said, I will still help.

Ubuntu is the best Linux base system because it is the most user-friendly. However, there are many things based on Ubuntu so just Ubuntu itself is not a requirement. I like Ubuntu and people should totally use it if they want BUT not unsupported deprecated versions of it.

Ubuntu merged the Netbook interface into their Unity desktop, that part is true. However, that is not their current desktop interface as they have replaced that with GNOME a little over a year ago.

Unity was totally usable on a Netbook as the interface but sadly, there was a TON of backlash from the community that eventually annoyed Ubuntu enough to abandon Unity even though it was quite good. So Unity is no longer maintained by Ubuntu in any form at all.

They switched to GNOME interface which is unfortunately the heaviest desktop environment on Linux.

All the reviews for Ubuntu Netbook were true then and they would apply to Unity but Unity is no longer used by Ubuntu so all of that info is basically irrelevant.

With that said, you could try Ubuntu 16.04 which does have Unity and is still supported for a couple more years but it will run out of support in 2 years.

Ubuntu Netbook Edition was made for netbooks but not necessarily ATOM as ATOM was just x86 based so anything would work on those technically.

The same thing you said about XP and Vista is also true about Ubuntu 10.10. You can not update it, you can not install new software from the repos because the repos were taken down. It doesn’t matter how old the machine is because when a version of Ubuntu is deprecated like 10.10 was, it is no longer available to use in any reasonable sense unless the exact versions of software that came on the ISO is enough and only that software.

Once a Linux distro is deprecated it is no longer available to install updates to software or even security updates so it would be “use at your own risk”.

Those servers no longer exists. If you install 10.10 you have to not check anything about updates and whatnot, only the stuff on the ISO is available.

You essentially have 2 options that are Ubuntu based for reasonably good systems that will work on such an old low powered machine. Lubuntu 18.04 and Bodhi Linux.

Lubuntu 18.04 is the latest LTS (Long Term Support) release that will work for many years to come. Lubuntu 18.04 is using the LXDE interface which is very lightweight and will work fine. However, 18.10 and newer are switching interfaces that probably won’t work as well so that is why I specify 18.04.

Bodhi Linux is also based on Ubuntu 18.04 so will have a similar long term support. Bodhi uses the Moksha desktop environment which is pretty lightweight but also has a lot more customization options than LXDE.

Rufus is fine but Etcher is just an easy and simpler method of putting ISOs on USB drives. If you want to use Rufus go ahead.

This does not exist. Linux is not Windows and trying to make people think it is Windows is a mistake if you plan to give them machines running Linux.

It is possible to make Linux systems work similar such as having a similar workflow paradigm and you can even modify it to look like Windows with a theme if you want to but it will never work “almost exactly” like Windows. At best, it would be a Windows imitation.

There are many options for making a Linux system have a similar paradigm of Windows but those dont try to look like Windows or work exactly like it but they do follow the panel setup and other similar aspects. That is totally fine to do because it wont make people think they are using something they aren’t.

this shouldn’t matter in my opinion because the best experience should be the focus for brand new users rather than technologies behind it.

Well Michael, you’ve put in a lot of work into your response and I thank you for it. Here are some event updates that, I think, are positive.

1. After simply rebooting the machine and unplugging the USB (RUFUS) installer (I had done this about 2x before, but the install would always take me back to the exact point where the install had stopped), suddenly the grayed-out CONTINUE button activated, and I quickly completed the install.

So, SUCCESS!

1. Taking everything you and BISWA have added, I found this article, which goes to the question as to how I could make the user experience as close to XP / WIN 7 as possible (NOT fooling anyone, just giving them a more familiar UI):

Make Ubuntu 14.04 Look Like Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows XP

How to make Ubuntu 14.04 LTS look like Windows 8. Make Ubuntu 14.04 look like Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows XP. Install Windows 7/8 themes and icons in Ubuntu 14.04. Install YlmfOS Theme Pack (Win XP) in Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr.

Download relevant fonts and change them from tweak tool.

To install Windows 7 or 8 themes in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win-themes

To install Windows 7 or 8 icons in Ubuntu/Linux Mint open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and copy the following commands in the Terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/icons
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win-icons
Make Ubuntu 14.04 look like Windows XP

So, the LAST question, given these new facts:

UBUNTU 14.04, suitable to fulfill the mission requirements mentioned above, for a 1.6 GHz, Atom-powered, 1 Gig memory machine?

I think that should do it for this thread, and thanks to all of you.

KJ

Out.

Best Linux Distro for Older Centrino 1 Gb Netbooks?

Ubuntu 14.04 loses support in just a couple months so no, that wouldn’t be a good option either.

Ubuntu 16.04, Lubuntu or Bodhi Linux would be good Ubuntu options.

Those themes are to make it pretend to be Windows so best of luck with that.

I have been using Yumi. Thanks for the tip.