I don’t know how much information you all will want, so I’ll give plenty. If you want to skip the info, here’s my question as short as possible: I’m looking for suggestions for a tablet that has the ability to have its own data plan. I’m also looking (although not as important) for a dumb-phone that is rugged to take calls on.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. It’s been great, I think we’ve put in 3 years together but starting to have issues. Mainly battery and charging related but a few computer-inside-my-phone issues too. I don’t know how long I should expect a phone to last anymore but I absolutely thought longer than 3 years given the price.
Charging port is very finicky, and especially after a complete factory reset here a couple weeks ago. I used to be able to charge with any cord and adapter, wall or car no issues, now I am limited to ONLY the one that (I think) came with a Kindle. Yes, that means the one it came with no longer works. Occasionally the wireless charging works, and works better.
After the last factory reset, every morning when I power cycle it asks to software update. I gave in for the first week and “updated” until I realized nothing was actually changing.
I don’t know if my carrier’s service has changed, but I find my phone to be 0 bars in places I used to be able to find service. It can be right next to my wife’s and hers will be at 2 or 3 bars and I’m at 0
Google Music didn’t seem to work that well for me, but I’m still getting used to going without iTunes.
Wireless charging could have been neat, and was pretty awesome the few times I found myself in a vehicle with a wireless charging station.
Battery started off with enough that I could make it through the day.
Apps available for the few features I have such as turning on and off lights in my not-yet-very-smart home.
3rd party accessories used to work without issue
Ability to increase internal capacity was nice.
I’m looking for suggestions for a tablet that has the ability to have its own data plan. I’m also looking (although not as important) for a dumb-phone that is rugged to take calls on.
- I’m open to suggestions as to a ‘feature phone’ with the ability to broadcast a wifi signal to the tablet device, but I’m not looking for advice on why it’s a dumb idea to use 2 devices instead of 1.
- I’d prefer the tablet to be on the smaller side (which for me is anywhere from the size of my note 5 up to probably 7.5")
- If the tablet is 1" thick that’d be fine, I’d love to have a good battery.
- I live and work in an environment that is hard on things, so rugged is a thought, but I also understand some of that can be taken care of with a good case.
- I’d like enough RAM that the tablet will be relevant in a couple years, but I have no idea how much that should be.
- I’m slowly learning Windows 10.
- I’m a CTE & Agricultural Education Teacher (think farming, ranching, welding)
- I’m a rancher
- I’m not technology illiterate, but I’ve been slacking for the last 2-3 years so I’m a bit out of the loop.