Start-up Time analysis

Slight correction to this, the option in the bios/uefi that needs to be present, and turned on, is VT-x, which is sometimes listed as Intel Virtualization Technology

Hyper-V is the hypervisor from intel, but is not necessary as there are other options, and actually only works in windows.

its a minor issue with the term, but just in case he goes looking in the bios for Hyper-V and can’t see it, so think’s he doesn’t have it.

I actually bought a Win 7 Home a few months ago. I could cope with its problems. I was going to install it in this laptop as soon as I scrounged everything I wanted to save to one of the 6 SSDs I have attached ( USB2 ) but it’s been an Augean stables kind of task. If I export all the junk ( easy way ), I end up with more added to what is already enough. The thought of sorting the whole mess out is daunting. I thought maybe I’ll get lucky and get hit by lightning. No decision needed. I have 2 other laptops that would support 7 but all the stuff I work with is on this one. I doubt if Acronis has the capability of transferring it all so I can use it. So the VM sounds like a reasonable compromise, if it will do what I need. Big question.

I can understand being reluctant to take the time to move stuff, are you only referring to data or programs, or both? The main thing I would think about is if what you want to move is worth the time? Is any of it something you would miss if your computer caught on fire? If so, do you have backups onsite and offsite?

At the risk of sounding disorganized, I’m not sure I’ve got what where. The other 2 laptops both contain fragmented data and apps. I have tried using some of the older apps that worked with 7 but they didn’t work at all with 10. A bunch I don’t know about, or even if I could use them now with all my others. I also put a lot of stuff on SSD that I really wanted to save but not organized. I have enough terabytes of SSD to store all I need and then some, with the realization that if I can’t pull out what I want without an effort, my heirs are probably going to pitch the works. Not literally, Just write over everything. I don’t use C as anything but temporary storage. As soon as I get enough, it goes to one of the SSDs. I also did a copy of the whole system a few months ago but for recovery purposes, which incidentally, I’ve never been able to make work. It shows recovery dates but when I say recover, it always comes back failed. It never says there’s a problem with writing a recovery. I’ve been going the upgrade route except the last time they said it needed an erase. Couldn’t keep anything. I expect your view of my situation is pretty dim by now. I’m not sure there’s an answer, only a band-aid maybe.

Well for me I like to keep it simple, I don’t do full image backups, I just backup the data. If you can get organized there are a couple programs that can help keep that data up-to-date on your backups as you contribute more to the pile.

If you wanted to attempt it I would say start with a large external hard drive, it would be a cheap setup. Start creating basic folders on the drive - pictures, music, videos, etc. Connect the external drive to each computer and go through it meticulously copying stuff over to the folders you have organized, don’t worry so much about duplicates at first, you are just trying to preserve the data.

Once you have everything copied over you can go back through it and get rid of the stuff that doesn’t work or is duplicated, you may even be able to identify this type of stuff easier now that its organized. After this process you should be confident enough that you could technically wipe all your computers and still have all of your data.

Identify one computer that you use the most, reserve that one computer for adding new data to your collection. You want to be able to copy all the folders from your external hard drive, so that you have the same data in both locations.

Once you have the data in both locations, download a program called freefilesync, this programs works on Windows, Mac, and Linux; so if you ever decide to switch OS’s you are covered. Setup the program to duplicate changes that you make on your computer to the external hard drive.

Now you have a workable onsite backup in place that is easy to manage, you simply keep your files organized on you computer as you add them, and every once in a while, launch freefilesync (make sure your external hard drive is connected and turned on), and click the sync button to sync all the files to your backup.

Now if you decide to do offsite backups, which is a good idea in case of a major disaster, you can easily setup something like google drive and sync all of your (already organized) folders to your google account. Again, you can launch the program whenever you want to sync new files.

I would recommend keeping the external hard drive off, and prevent google drive from launching at startup, just so that you have control over when the syncs occur in case your computer gets infected. You don’t want anything bad to spread to your external hard drive or offsite backup.

There are certainly other ways to do backups better than my system, where you can have incremental backups and cherry pick the backup you want to restore, but those may have higher costs.

All the stuff that I was really concerned about I did copy to the external drives. Unfortunately, not in an organized fashion. I never could find a filing system ( my wife always took care of the house bookkeeping and she was really good at it ) that did enough for me and even though my hard files ( computer design articles mostly ) were very well organized in 3 filing cabinets, it didn’t work on my computers and laptops. I’ve tried a lot of different things to see what worked so I have this hodge-podge. But maybe freefilesync will have enough structure to force me into viable storage. Way back, I lost a fair amount due to HDD failures where I didn’t have any backups. Then I got HDD backups and failures in those. SSDs should last indefinitely if they’re made right. Thanks for all your help. It started a new track in my brain. Bob Pacl

Hard drives used to be more durable than SSD’s, but a lot of improvements have been made to SSD’s so that may no longer be the case. HDD’s after all are mechanical devices, those parts can wear out, where as a SSD doesn’t have moving parts. No storage medium is fool proof though, which why its best to have two backups for redundancy, even if that means instead of using something like google drive you get an extra hard drive and store it at another location. Then when you run a refresh on your backup you can swap that drive with the one offsite and continually cycle them between the two locations.

If you are only doing onsite backup, you will want to make sure to periodically check the drive(s) to make sure they are still operational when you need them. You don’t want to do a backup and then let the drive sit dormant for years without use.

As I mentioned, I did computer circuit design my whole professional life. I started out when the only semiconductors were copper oxide and selenium rectifiers for battery chargers. My first computers were vacuum tube. I saw the first transistors when they cost a lot more than a steak dinner at a good restaurant. Each new development was a source of wonder. Large scale integration was impossible, not because of crowding, but failure rate. I was pretty involved in the trade-offs between size and reliability. With the basis on which SSDs are built, there is no longer any excuse for failures except cost. Careful inspection all the way along can preclude bad material and practice. Would I buy Chinese? Not if I knew that’s where it came from. I expect my SSDs to last a lot longer than I. I have duplicate backups though, just in case. The dog might decide one tastes good.

the only 2 countries that make more chips than china are taiwan (which is a part of china) and south korea.

buying chinese is not something you can avoid really.

I wasn’t aware that China had annexed Taiwan. The US treaty to defend Taiwan still exists per reports. Not something we’d do if it were Chinese.

Well i don’t want to get into politics, cause that’s what the subject is in america, but only a very few small nations have “official” diplomatic relations with Taiwan. its not part of the UN, and its not recognised as independent by America, despite the Taiwan relations act.

its a weird situation, and one that is looked at differently outside of america.

I believe I’m probably stretching the rules, if not breaking them here, saying this much on the subject, so I’d say do some reading on it but I think we should move on from this.

I remember reading about American semiconductor investment in Taiwan in the '70’s when China didn’t know what a semiconductor was. I came across a lot of Taiwanese stuff and had no problems with it.

yeah, that was sort of my point. Chinese isn’t automatically bad. even from the mainland.

I want my hoverboard damnit!

I think the Koreans might be able to argue that point convincingly

if those Koreans are using their Samsung phones as evidence, i’m not buying their argument lol

My viewpoint is a lot different than yours. I designed missile system signal processing circuitry. A failure there doesn’t blow up the missile. It just wastes 2-3 million bucks ( Patriot ). Mil-spec requires testing and conformance of every kind. This is why the semiconductors are so good today. A strictly American requirement. The payback is incalculable. If semiconductor development had proceeded at commercial pace, NONE of the familiar electronics would be here. It would still be in development.

7 posts were split to a new topic: SSD vs HDD, DVD-R writing, Windows crashes