Start-up Time analysis

I have removed all but 5 basic programs from start-up and they only take 5 sec, but my start-up is more than 45 sec. My Chrome start takes almost 2 minutes to get Gmail. I’ve had it much lower after new Chrome installs and Win 10 cleanup but it’s soon back to Foreverville. Any programs out there that log the start-up so you can see what’s dragging it down.

What are your computer specs?

Tip: As a general rule, it is safe to remove any startup program. Typically, most programs automatically start because they are monitoring the computer (e.g., antivirus) or give a hardware device additional features (e.g., printer software). After a program has been removed or disabled, if it needs anything that used to load at startup, it will not load until the program is executed.

AMD A8-7050 Radeon R5 6 Compute Cores 2C + 4G 2.2 Ghz
4 GB ram (3.45 usable)
64 bit OS x64-based processor
HP Laptop 375T5MU7
Win 10 Home
10.0.17134 Build 17134
Chrome 69
10 sec BIOS
4 Startups

Make Windows 10 boot a little faster.

Press Windows key + R and type in regedit and click OK. Then navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize

Note: If the Serialize key does not exist, create it. Click the Explorer key in the left pane, select Edit > New > Key from the menu bar, type Serialize to name the key and press Enter.

Create a new DWORD value called StartupDelayInMSec and with a value of 0. To create the DWORD value, right-click the Serialize key in the left pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. The value is set to 0 by default – Figure 3.
Exit the Registry Editor.
Once you reboot, you should notice that the computer starts up faster than before the tweak.

How exactly does that work

How old is this system? I can’t even find that model of HP.

The main thing that will affect your boot time is if you are using a hard drive of solid state drive.

The other two factors is your processor is pretty low end at this point, and your RAM is the bare minimum you need. Its possible your RAM is maxed out and so it is swapping to virtual memory to keep all your services running.

Can you launch task manager and post a screenshot of your Performance/Memory tab that looks like this?:

It’s hard to believe that startup requires massive memory. I’m not surprised that those turkeys in Redmond would try to do that, but it should be possible for the user to control to some extent. I’ve got 60 apps on my desktop ( shortcuts obviously) that I need to make up for Redmonds screwups but none start. I call them as needed. I frequently run into memory overload when image processing but not bad enough to add ram. The laptop is about 6 years old and I have found it at HP. Unfortunately, no help.

See that line that says “Committed 5.6/9.3 GB”?

In my experience what that means is that even though your memory shows the usage at 2.8/3.5, it is actually committed more memory to the running services/programs than it actually has…so it is likely having to swap data out between the hard drive (or SSD) as you are using the computer, which causes a noticeable slowdown.

A few years ago 4GB may have been enough to get by, but these days 8GB is really the standard to keep modern systems running smoothly.

A SSD will get you faster boot times, but it won’t do much to keep your system running smoothly if you have insufficient RAM. The processor is the least concern here, although it isn’t very powerful, if it is powerful enough to perform the work you are doing then it doesn’t need an upgrade.

The good news as it looks like you might have an extra RAM slot open, you would want to open the laptop up to confirm. Then you can just purchase and install another 4GB stick. See how that works, if it is still sluggish then consider upgrading the hard drive (assuming that is what you have) to a SSD.

Since its a laptop you likely can’t do anything about the processor, so the two options I mentioned are your only options for improvement.

Thanks for the analysis. You brought out a few points I was very hazy on. I really don’t have any aggravations running the stuff I do. It’s Chrome and startup that really raise my hackles. I have reinstalled Chrome regularly every 2-3 weeks for months now. The reinstall always resulted in improved performance for a very short time. Before Google announce 69, I was convinced that Redmond was messing with it to improve the comparison with Edge, which I never used. I’ve shut off updates since I have Norton, Malwarebytes and Glary and maybe defender’s actually doing something and have had no malware that they can find anyhow. But trying to read my Gmail from turn-on is several minutes. I wanna go back to Win 98SE

I forgot to mention I tried to get into the guts. Took out 11 screws from the bottom but it wouldn’t come off. I have had every other laptop and desktop apart and frequently modified ( add ram, upgrade HDD, add SSD ). I spent my professional life designing computer circuits so they hold no secrets for me. I also have a jeweler’s workshop so small parts don’t pose a problem but the designs today look like a large number of half-assed engineers are out there. More like Japanese puzzles sometimes.

Do you use any programs that specifically need Windows? If not have you considered moving to a speedy Chromebook in the $300 range? They are still viable to use with 4GB of RAM if all you have open is a handful of tabs.

Some laptops hide the RAM under the keyboard, so you might check there.

If you have taken all the screws off the back and it won’t come off, try running a flat head under the edge and see if you can get different sections to “pop” off, the other possibility is it may be designed to slide one way or the other to come off after the screws are loose.

I am loaded with free apps. Never saw any indication that there were versions available for other than windows for the majority. I hate MS and downloaded Ubuntu but chickened-out when push came to shove. Maybe I could throw half the apps out with some other OS but I’m 92 and everything is in slow motion for me I’m afraid. I don’t want to get halfway through and then stall. Anyhow, people like you make computer life tolerable. Thanks again.

I did try sliding in all 4 directions but didn’t want to get too violent. I should be able to get the info from HP at least. The keyboard shows no edges. The top is all one piece.
I’ll badger HP. Thanks.

There are some alternatives out there, but some of them aren’t great replacements, it really depends on what you use. So the question would be do you really use all those free apps? If you can list the main ones you use I might be able to suggest a suitable replacement.

If you are still messing with this stuff at 92 I imagine you have to help all the others out at the senior center (not being insulting, my dad loves hanging out at the senior center), my dad still does okay at 72 surfing the web and what not, but my grandpa at 88 only uses a handful of basic apps and doesn’t use internet browsing at all.

Speaking of my dad, last year I got him to upgrade to a Chromebook and he loves it. Prior to that he was using a Windows 10 laptop with 2GB of RAM and it would slow to a crawl. I even spent a weekend trying to speed it up, but it was futile.

Well, I wouldn’t pop for Photoshop way back. I did get Paint Shop Pro for XP and know at least 2/3 of it. It hangs on with 10. I also got Photo Elements and Genuine Fractals. I loved unlocker by Collumb but it won’t work for 10 so I got 3 Wise apps, Iobit and Lockhunter, a few force deleters, File assassin, a couple of Xn, Teracopy, Extreme Copy, a few Easeus, and a bunch more. If you’re looking for something to read at bedtime to put you to sleep, I can copy all my downloads. I would guess, conservatively, that downloading, installing, evaluating, uninstalling the majority has taken up at least 6 months of the 30 years or so I’ve been at it, from my original Commodore. I’m still very ambivalent about whether going with Linux would have been better. Maybe a bit more spadework would have given me all I needed. When I go through my old downloads, I still find programs that I can use now that help. Whether 10 will tolerate or even recognize them is something else. Again, thanks.

Holy moly, do you really use all that? You might be able to get some of them working with compatibility mode, if not you can probably fire up a VM and run them off that.

The paint programs I can understand, although I have yet to find a viable alternative that don’t seem overly complex (like GIMP).

I try not to hold on to old programs as they can be more trouble than they are worth, I tend to take a line from Starship Troopers:

I never looked into VMs. If they operate from an SSD on a USB2 port,it might be feasible. Not sure my Paint Shop would run very well there even though it has problems with 10. Some of my saves involved big file processing and took many seconds. Most of the rest aren’t ever slow except for uninstall and search. If you think there’s potential there, I’ll see what I can find. Thanks for the tip.

VM’s (there are a number of free options) are just software you install, then using that software you install the OS to a virtual computer and “boot” it, essentially running the OS like a program. Typically you need more RAM onboard to do this, when you setup the VM you can choose how much RAM (and disk space) to allocate to the VM for use. You can even do snapshots so that you can feel free to install a sketchy program to the VM and if something goes wrong you can just revert back to your snapshot, so really useful for testing.

If you end up switching to Linux at some point you could always have a VM to run Windows, kind of defeats the purpose of running Linux, but would be a good option if you want to have as little as possible to do with Windows.

VM’s require that your BIOS/UEFI support Hyper-V, I have been able to get it to work a little without Hyper-V but only certain 32-bit ISO’s, no 64-bit.