Question about software based video file conversion

Hi

As I mentioned above I have a question about video file conversion.
However it’s not about one format to another but one resolution to another.

More in detail:
I recently bought a new TV (Full HD 1080) and I connected it to my PC with HDMI cable, I play a movie on my PC and than watch it on TV. Unfortunettly most of the movies are on DVDs, which means they are at much lower resolution.

Sometimes my TV tends to compensate by adding more pixels to the image and expand it to entire screen, but than it looks crapy, sometimes the image remains at original resolution, but is smaller and has more quality.

So I decided to look for some programs that will help me resolve the situation, and I found one video file converter that offers both file and resolution coversion, and I gave it a try, converting a 460p AVI format to 1080 MKV format, it took approx. 4 hours, and resoulting file was from 1 GB now almost 8 GB in size, but I don’t see much of a difference, it’s less crapy but still crapy.

My question is to those of you that have more experience with video files, is it worth it?, to convert the files I mean from lower resolution to higher one, is it worth the time, procesing power and storage space in the end?

And what about the format conversion, is that have to do with quality, if so which one is the best for 1080p resolution and 2 hours long movie?
I have searched the internet for a long time trying to find an answer or explanation about many formats and how is one better than the other in certain situations, but still have no clue on what format to use.

Any answer or help about resizing, converting video files would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Best Regards

Not really. What you’re talking about is upscaling, which is the process of converting a lower resolution image to a higher one.

All of the scaling algorithms I know of just do some sort of smoothing to make the picture look a little less blocky when scaling it up. You can see if your video utilities have any sort of smoothing options, but anything that improves the image as it scales it up is going to be artificial - the scaled up image won’t look quite like the original before it was scaled down.

Ok, so should I just leave the whole task to my TV?, I meant Is it worth to upscale the video file with a software when my TV apperentlly can do the same job, only with a bit less quality but also less time, or is it the same? I mean is the upscaling process the same on my TV as well as within the software I use, if so than it’s definettly not worth it.
And what about all these formats, do they improve quallity at all?, which one would be the best than?

Thanks

I think you’re going to have to experiment with scaling settings to figure out what works best for each video.

However, switching container formats or even encoding formats will NOT make your picture look better - like I said before, you can’t put information back once it’s lost.

In fact, any time you convert formats (not just containers), you’re losing information, since the common video CODECs are all lossy. Decompressing, and re-compressing a video (without some other form of processing) will always make the video look worse than it did coming in.

There are some exceptions, of course: if you need to clean a video up using noise reduction, then the result can look cleaner. Likewise, if you find a scaler that fits your need, decoding, scaling, and re-compressing might work better than scaling on your TV.

But this is going to be entirely a matter of looking at the scaling settings in your app. I don’t know what app you’re using, so I can’t offer any specific advice. I will suggest checking out Handbrake, as it wraps up FFMPEG, which is itself a good MPEG video encoder and processor.

The settings seem to be tied with the format I use, for each one there are different settings, some of them I don’t really understand, I will send you an screenshot of the settings window.

Btw I am using HD Video Converter Factory PRO.

The settings bellow are default for AVI format.

Just so you understand, AVI and MKV are containers. The actual CODEC (called Encoder here) is what’s going to most affect your final quality, along with the options used in actually scaling the video.

When you click the “Customize” button next to Resolution, what options do you get?

So these are containers, I didn’t know that really, thanks for leting me know that changing them is leading nowhere, but what if I dont change the container just the resolution for example converting MKV 720p to MKV 1080p?, I know now that I can’t make the image more quality than it was before.

The “Customize” button doesn’t really offer any options it just allows me to manualy enter the resolution I want.

Ok so I should focus on The Encoder settings, Which one would be the best option…