Programs lost in 1803 upgrade?

Windows’ several attempts to upgrade to build 1803 on my main PC have failed, citing 0xc1900101 as the reason. Microsoft’s explanation of this problem includes almost anything on the computer–drivers, new programs, etc., etc., so that you’d have to start from scratch. I have many programs and functions on my PC and don’t want to start over. Some sites recommend using the Media Creation tool and installing 1803 over 1709, with the assurance that this can be done successfully without loss of data or Apps. --Does this “Apps” include ALL PROGRAMS, or just the little programs in the Windows APPS folder? I don’t want to have to reinstall Forte or Paintshop, for instance.

Apps that are updated would not affect non-Windows apps.

That said, you should always have backups ready in case something goes wrong. At least have your data backed up, and if you choose to do so you can create an image of your computer before the update so you can easily restore the whole thing to the way it was if something goes wrong.

Thanks, but that’s not what I meant. I wasn’t talking about updating apps, but updating the OS. When I update Windows 10 from 1709 to 1803,USING THE WIN10 1803 ISO, will I have to reinstall all or any of my programs?

what he meant is if you update the os then the apps should be fine but you should make a back up just in case

Generally no, but like I said if something goes critically wrong with the upgrade then you certainly could end up having to reinstall the entire OS and all your programs; which is why I mentioned backing up your data at the least and possibly making an image if you really want to avoid having to reinstall your programs if the worst should happen.

In most cases the upgrades install fine, but since its not a 100% success rate, its wise to take precautions.

I know. I took it for granted that I should do a backup. I was asking whether I might expect to lose programs.

you shouldn’t expect to, no, but you might. sometimes the program will still be there, just won’t run. a simple reinstall of the program over the top sorts it in 95% of cases.

If someone created this type of setup there will be no problem. But this requires some knowledge about that software:

I have two SSDs in my main computer, divided into 7 logical drives. My idea was to separate the OS from data (I use C for the OS, D for main programs, E for photos, F for documents, G, H, and I for movies, music, etc.). It does make OS upgrades easier, though most programs will have to be reinstalled. Unfortunately, some programs just plop into C without giving a choice. I have used EaseUS Partition Master and AOMEI’s (free!) software to repartition in a few cases where one drive got too full. They are essentially the same as the old, expensive partition manager, but brought up to date to work with SSDs and Win 10. I’ve used them on my own and others’ computers without any hitch or data loss. They’re fast and safe.

I don’t see the point in having so many partitions, its one thing to separate the OS from data, but beyond that you are just making your life more complicated.

It made life easier under XP, when we could open Explorer with the drive we wanted as root; then Windows 10 and the Explorer cluttered with Quick Access, etc. . . . The old way is still comfortable for me; I’m not urging it on anyone. But my point was check out EaseUS and AOMEI if you want to split your HD. Once, wanting more space in C, I copied all of D into I, used EaseUS to take some space from D, then recopied everything back into D. Everything worked fine. Stay well and away from hurricanes, folks.