Privacy & tracker removal

I am fighting Google contamination. Like Mozilla, my favorite tracker removal software, CCleaner, has teamed up with Google. Rats.

Are there any other programs that I can run after each foray onto the Internet, that will remove trackers and the rest of the stuff?

CCleaner is not a “tracker remover”. Which “tracker” do you want to remove? Please provide some details…

In modern day, we have been tracked everywhere… cell phone, internet, cctv… :sob:

A couple of months back, CCleaner added on a tracker removal feature. Everytime you run it, you get a 'Number of Trackers" removed. My guess is the largest number trackers are coming from my Google-controlled Mozilla Firefox browser failing to stop them (or Firefox has it’s own trackers)… and my ISP provider the unethical Centurylink.

I wouldn’t mind being tracked if I hadn’t read “Dragnet Nation” and worked in the tech industry long enough to understand data aggregation… data is the new big oil and any 'paying for the free software" rationale is long gone.

Ideally, I should be able to download an add-on that would just remove of all the tracking activity as soon as it is attempted. But none of them work 100% across the board. My browser settings stop some tracking activity. I’m running Adblock, Ublock Origin, Adguard Adblocker and that does stop all but 1-100 of them for each internet session.

Bottom line, if I am going to generate data for a company to sell, I deserve to be compensated and to decide what data I am going to contribute to their enterprise. If I’m not getting a dime (and wages are dropping everywhere) and no one is even showing me the courtesy of asking if I want to participate - I don’t want my internet activity tracked.

The movie “Algorithm” about all of this was created by young people a couple of years ago. It’s excellent.

I’m guessing you mean cookies here. If so, you can set Firefox to clear all cookies when it is closed or install Cookie AutoDelete which lets you create a whitelist of useful ones to save.

Please provide evidence of how Firefox is controlled by Google. Also, if Firefox was really sending your browser history to some remote server (which it’s not), you would have no way of knowing beyond monitoring network traffic.

By virtue of being your ISP, CenturyLink can see what sites you visit without needing to set cookies or anything else.

Just use Ublock Origin. It comes with all the prominent ad-blocking lists preinstalled and you can add custom ones in case something is missing. Running multiple adblockers will just slow the browser down.

CCleaner is great at cleaning out browser cookies, history, cache, etc.

1. To start, click CCleaner-Options-Cookies for a list of all cookies residing in your browser(s).
  2. Send the cookies you want to keep to the right column.
  3. Now you can run CCleaner to delete all cookies remaining in the left column (and a ton of other junk besides).

Every time you’ve got a cookie that you wish to keep, go to CCleaner, look for it in the left column, and move it to the right column.

CCleaner thus allows you to keep or delete cookies selectively. The only thing it doesn’t do is block cookies to begin with. For blacklisting, you’ll have to use your browser.

Thank you!! A lot of that was VERY helpful. I will continue to look for a replacement for CCleaner and remove the extraneous add-ons.

I have read elsewhere that ISP providers are beginning to monetize their customer’s internet activity - tracking and capturing their internet activity and selling it to other companies - which further aggregate the data. It is really important to read Dragnet Nation and Zero Day Threat.

In a battle w/C-link over failure to provide DNS look up, I received non-sensical answers from their software engineering staff… and no acknowledgement that their system did not provide DNS look up for my e-mail traffic causing me to be blacklisted on several sites. The absence of DNS look up at that time was confirmed by other sites.

For evidence of Google’s influence over Mozilla:

1. Dig into your memory banks and the TED talk by the former CEO of Mozilla about the ad on “Collusion.” Right after Google joined Mozilla as a development partner, Collusion was made far less useable and re-named Lightbeam. Some of the features have since been restored… but not the sound alert as trackers come on-line that allows the end user to avoid websites w/o having to check what is happening visually.

2. The entire Firefox interface was “streamlined” removing much end user control. It was so bad that I installed PaleMoon for several years to preserve the basic navigation. PaleMoon evolved into a monetized tracker haven. No response to being called out on it’s forum. I left when I discovered through CCleaner that I had 2500 trackers…

One more thing I missed. The CCleaner tracking feature may mean cookies. No way to know without research. BUT, I did try to set up Firefox to simply stop all cookies from the start. Unfortunately, Cookies are no longer simple ad tracker programs. They are now integral to the loading and functioning of many websites. I found that I could not watch a single Youtube (Google) video with the cookie block turned on in the Firefox privacy settings. Everytime I hear someone say cookies are no big deal - I wonder about their IT background and how much they care about their privacy… In the beginning, they were not a big deal - now it’s different.

I use Firefox - with two different profiles:

Profile 1. Google Stuff: This is the profile for all my Google stuff - Gmail, Voice, Map. The browser is set to reject all cookies - except for specific Google ones I whitelisted. Google can track my Google usage for all I care.

Profile 2. General Stuff: This is set to accept all cookies for general browsing - EXCEPT FOR Google ones. No Google anything allowed here. Google does not need to know any of my surfing habits outside of #1 above.

Again, I use CCleaner to clean out stuff periodically.