Pop-ups reappear, even after restart

Hi, I’m having a very frustrating problem with my Lenovo Windows 10 PC. I use Mozilla Firefox with a pop-up blocker which generally works well, but I still get pop-ups from time to time. Sometimes I get the bogus “critical alert from Microsoft” fake virus alert type pop-ups, I also get ‘uber’ ones and ‘Roblox’ ones. I’m very wary of these and would never close them off with my mouse as I have been told this can embed viruses on a PC. In the past I have always done a restart on my PC to get rid of these. However I am now finding that even after a restart, the very same ones from my aborted session reappear- the same ones, and the very same amount. It’s as if the restart didn’t work properly.

Personally I don’t think there is a virus or malware causing this (although I could be wrong). I have good anti-virus protection and I have also run a couple of the most well-known malware detection programs (e.g. malwarebytes on my PC, which detected nothing. Also, these pop-ups do not randomly present themselves on my PC and my browser does not get hijacked, redirected etc. They only ever appear during visits to websites from which I download music (not illegally, I hasten to add). For some reason my pop-up blocker is not catching them. As mentioned, it’s as if the restart hasn’t worked properly, or a setting is not quite right.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3

Processor Count: 4

RAM: 12236 Mb

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, -2048 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 1831 GB (908 GB Free); E: 1863 GB (0 GB Free);

Motherboard: LENOVO, 30C7

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Which popup blocker do you use? Have you tried others?

Windows 10 now re-opens the windows that were open when you previously shut down the system. So rebooting isn’t really doing anything in this scenario.

Just close those pop-up windows with the close button. Whoever told you that closing them causes viruses is misinformed. If those malicious ads were going to install a virus or trojan horse through an exploit, they’d have done the instant they appeared.

More to the point, if you’re worried about drive by attacks from popup ads, remove things like Adobe Flash and Java Runtime from your system. Those are the vectors for most of these attacks.

I noticed this behavior a while back, and while I think it’s a horrible mistake by Microsoft’s part do to this, there’s no clean way to disable it without affecting other functionality.

However, this might help:

Hi Larry, thanks for your response. I’m using Pop-up Blocker Ultimate, but I’m going to try AdBlocker Ultimate.

Hi Wilsontp, thanks for taking the time to respond. That gives me some peace of mind.

uBlock is pretty popular, you can actually right click elements and block them. Could be useful if it lets you right click the popups you get and block future instances.

I would highly recommend this! I have not had any issues with any websites since I installed this plugin.

Thank you for your recommendations, larrylmitchell and JWBooth.

Thanks Wilsontp, you were right- Windows 10 just reopens any windows left open before restart. I tested this by leaving google open and restarting. Sure enough, upon reboot there was google again. And thanks for correcting the misinformation I was given about closing pop-up windows.

Guys thank you so much for your assistance and sorry for the delay in responding. I am pretty comfortable and confident that nothing is amiss. As has been pointed out to me, Windows 10 will restore the previous session if not all windows and pop-ups were closed prior. Your help was much appreciated.

P.s I installed Poper Blocker and I have found it to be exceptionally good.