Outlook 2007 No Longer Working - Need Suggestions for an Alternative Offline Email Client

I have been using Outlook 2007 to download my emails to my computer and save relative emails into folders, now that Outlook 2007 is no longer supported by Microsoft I need a suitable program that will replicate this process and allow me to transfer my Outlook 2007 saved data and continue saving my emails in a similar manner. I do not want a cloud storage system for my emails (this I find unacceptable for who can access?).
Please would (not could) somebody please reply to my plea.
Regards for 2019 from Colin

You may use any browser instead of a email client.

You may need to buy Office 2016. When you install the outlook 2016 it should absorb your 2007 information. You can look around for the 2016 and find downloads of the product that are much cheaper than buying it from Microsoft or from big box stores. I think I got mine for about $120 or around that. I was very leery when I did this but it worked fine. This does cost some but it will save your data and then just function like you have been used to.

tjweeks, beat me to what I was going to offer you as an alternative. I had the same problem and did just that, but then I got an MS Office 365 subscription that has Outlook and all the other Office features of Word, Excel, Outlook, Onenote, etc. Even my old Onenote notes got put into the new Onenote.

I switched to Mozilla Thunderbird from Outlook about 10 years ago and still use it for downloading and locally saving my email. https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

If the Outlook emails are saved as individual files on your hard drive then importing is not too hard.

If however the emails are stored in a PST or OST file then importing is not easy, I ended up using Debian Linux in a VM to convert my PST files into an open plain text format.