Multiple partition USB drive

My idea is to have a USB drive partitioned in two parts. One, for Files/Folders/Programs, and the other, for multiple O.S. (Windows and Linux). I partitioned it into two parts with the system utility Disk Management successfully. However, I started with one O.S. (Ubuntu) first, I used Rufus to make a partition bootable, but, Rufus removed the two partitions that I made, and made it a whole one for the new O.S., so, the partition for Files/Folders/Programs is gone. Rufus doesn’t have an option to choose where you want to boot the O.S. when are two of them of course, therefore, it discarded as a tool for this case.

My question is… Do you know a better way to do this, please?. Make two partitions in a USB drive, one for data and the other for O.S.

Don’t use Rufus to make the drive bootable; Rufus is designed to use the whole drive, and it will overwrite any partition data.

Instead, you should use the Ubuntu installation program to install Ubuntu to the drive.

However… you probably won’t get far trying to install Windows to the drive. Windows can’t be installed to or booted from a USB drive in the way you’re hoping. There is a Windows To Go feature, but it’s intended for Enterprise installations, and I’m pretty sure it takes over the whole drive.

Why not just get two separate USB drives, to make things simple?

Why not just get two separate USB drives, to make things simple?

Can I make a USB drive multiboot, with Windows and Linux, or just all Windows/Linux?

There may be a way to do it, but all the tools I’ve seen for creating bootable media on USB drives are intended for single-booting, not for dual-booting off of USB.

I imagine if you were really motivated, you could do it manually, but I don’t think you’re going to do it with any of the standard, automated installers.

I use this YUMI for any GNU/Linux distributions. This does not require multiple partition flash drive.

Windows may not work with this. It boots in a whole different way than Linux.

I can do it by myself, if I want to!!! If I don’t find an automatic way, I’ll figure it out!!!

I tried it with two Ubuntu distributions, and it said: “An operating system wasn’t found”. The BIOS didn’t recognize them as bootable. What can I do?.

There is a issue (may be similar) I have seen with Slitaz distro. I’ve to edit a file, just one line. Can you do a test?

Yes, I can. How is it?.

I’ve tried with two Ubuntu ISO files, no error in my PC. Did you see any window with ‘Boot from first Hard Drive’ and ‘Linux Distributions’ options? Or just a blank screen? Did you try YUMI with one ISO file?

First: I select the drive (USB)
Drive

Second: I select Ubuntu.
Ubuntu

Third: I select Windows
Windows

Did you see any window with ‘Boot from first Hard Drive’ and ‘Linux Distributions’ options? Or just a blank screen?

Those options (Images) are the only available to execute.

Did you try YUMI with one ISO file?

Yes, I did. It worked with one ISO file (Ubuntu), but, I want to do it with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 18.10 in the same USB drive.

When I boot it with the two O.S., it says: “No O.S. was found on this drive”.

Step 1: Insert the USB drive you want to partition.
Step 2: Open Disk Management via Windows search. You will see your USB appear in the list of connected drives. Right–click it and select “Shrink Volume” from the context menu.
Step 3: Select the size of the partitions you want to make. You can accept the suggested disk size, or you can enter a custom one.
Step 4: It doesn’t take long to partition the drive. Once it’s done, you will see your USB or SD card in Disk Management. At this point, you will only see one partition while the other will appear as unallocated space.
Step 5: Right-click the unallocated space and select “Create Simple Volume” from the context menu. Follow the on-screen instructions and don’t change anything under the size options. Leave them as they are automatically set. When asked, select a letter to assign the drive,
Step 6: On the Format Partition screen, select ‘NTFS’ from the File system dropdown. Uncheck the quick format option and allow Disk Management to format the drive. When formatting completes, you should see the second drive appear in File Explore.