iPhone battery discharging at a fast rate


#1

iPhone 6. Battery health shows 98%. Overnight, it drops 5%. While in use, it’s dropping 1% every 3 minutes. Continuous use only gives me 4 1/2 to 5 hours between charges. I have done all the “tricks” to preserve the battery, but no luck. Out of warranty, so a new battery or phone will come out of my pocket.


#2

Someone else asked about this a while back, seems there was an iOS update that was causing the battery to drain faster.


#3

Currently on iOS 12, but just got notified that 12.0.1 is available. After it’s downloaded, I’ll charge the battery and see if it was fixed.


#4

Updated to iOS 12.1, drained battery, recharged for 4 hours, did a reboot, and battery percentage is still out of whack. Overnight, went from 100% to 79% (8 hrs). Battery health still at 98%. My old iPhone 4G has better battery life. All my system settings have been optimized for long battery life, but still discharging at 1% every 3-4 minutes while in use. I’m out of ideas.


#5

You might take a look this.


#6

I have done 90% of those suggestions, but did do the remaining 10%. I’ll recharge tonight, and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks.


#7

First 12 hours it only went down 20%, but the next 12 hours went down 40%. I obviously have slowed it down, now have to see why the sudden upburst after it reached 80% charged. Thanks for that article. It did help.


#8

I think it’s fixed. I just went 2 1/2 days between charges. The article Ronnie posted did help, but I took it a little further. After applying those tweaks, I discharged it all the way, then after it was at 100%, I left it plugged in for another hour, then I did a reboot (home+power buttons). It did improve, but not to my liking, so I let it discharge to 30%, then repeated the charge/reboot. After that, I was able to go 2 1/2 days between charges. I hope I’m not bragging too early.


#9

After 4 days, I feel confident enough to say “IT’S FIXED”. For those of you that run into this problem, please remember to leave the charging cable in for at least 1 hour after it’s fully charge. The article Ronnie posted was a BIG help.