Installing an SSD in a Dell 8500 desktop

larrymitchell, You are correct, no software from Crucial.

ronnie, I got the cable you told me to get and I have plugged that into the old hard drive, where does the other end of that cable go, to the SSD? If so, I now have one opening on the SSD and one on the hard drive. How and what do I connect to the Mother board? Originally, I had one cable from the hard drive to the mother board, then one cable from the hard drive to a large wiring harness. I have disconnected both of those cables from the hard drive.

Plug the power cable into your computer the same place your already installed hard drive was plugged into. Then connect one of connecter to your old hard drive and one to the new ssd. Then connect the new sata cable to your new ssd and the other end to one of your extra sata connection.

I tried to plug in the new cable you told me to get, but one end is to big for the SSD, I can plug it into the hard drive but when I try to plug it it the SSD it is too big. WHAT IS THE POWER CABLE?

Disregard the above, I plugged the new cable into the hard drive where it was originally plugged into, now how do I connect the SSD? Where does the power come from?

Ok, I got it installed, now how do I get the computer to change from the hard drive to the SSD as the primary?

Can anyone help me change the boot drive to make the SSD the primary drive with the HDD the secondary drive? Thanks for any response.

Unplug the HDD. Turn PC on. It should boot to SSD. The HDD, does it have only the OS on it, or do you have other files (pics, Docs, etc). IF it’s only the OS, you will need a partition program on bootable CD. Unplug the SSD, plug in the HDD, then boot to the CD. Delete all partitions. Then create a single partition. This will totally erase the HDD. If you do have other files, you must copy them to either another drive, via an external USB, or to a flash drive with enough capacity to handle all the files, then to the delete partition. Then you have a choice: either leave the HDD attached to the external USB and use it that way, or install it internally. When you re-boot, windows SHOULD automatically assign D to the HDD. Windows comes with a Computer / Disk management program, but it’s not the best program. The simplest thing to do is to use BIOS to boot from the SSD, then use Disk Management to change the drive letters of the HDD and SSD, but Windows will not allow you to change the HDD from C to another letter IF the current OS is the one that’s on the HDD. If you can actually boot from the SSD, it’s possible (I haven’t tried it) that windows has already assigned C to the SSD and D to the HDD. If it did, you can skip using the partition program. I’ve included those instructions, just in case you need them. Good luck.

silverghot63, Yes I do have the OS on the HDD and many files I want to transfer to the SSD. I would like to transfer everything that’s on the HDD to the SSD. Thanks for your response. As I said before I am not a Geek and have a hard time understanding some of the terms, such as partitions, changing the Bios, etc.

Assuming the SSD is same or bigger size as the HDD, CLONE the OS first, then copy all the other files over. THEN you can wipe the HDD clean (re-partition & format it) & re-install it as the second drive. That way, there will be no confusion on the PC trying to determine which drive to boot from. Then, if you want to keep the files on the HDD, just move them from the SSD.

The SSD is 512gb and the HDD is 1TB, does that make a difference?

When I click This PC, the hard drive show up but the SSD is not there. HELP, Disk management does not show any drives

The SSD has to be partitioned and formatted before Disk Management and This PC will see it. If you use Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD, it will automatically partition/format the SSD. The size difference won’t matter for the cloning, but it MIGHT matter for moving the other files. How full is the HDD now?

179Gigs used out of 1.81TB

Also I cannot initialize the SSD I downloaded EASEUs partition maker and it shows the SSD but I cannot initialize it

Try this: https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/77141-ssd-wont-install-windows-wont-initialize.html or this: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/How-to-initialize-your-SSD-Windows/ta-p/111492

I think my problem is is BIOS, how can I check the Bios?

silverghost63, I did as the link said and got the simple volume and it assigned the drive letter as E, but I did not get the pop up it said to initialize the SSD. After the drive letter was assigned it said the E drive was ready to use. Is that correct since it has not been initialized? When I click on “This PC”, E drive is there and it was NOT there before. When I check the properties of E drive, it said there is 158MB used out of 465 Gigs. This is a 500gig SSD

You never actually get the amount of space you pay for on those drives, so 465GB sounds typical.

Now that you can see the drive, use the software to clone your HDD to your SSD. Also recommend creating the recovery disk the software will prompt for during the process of cloning as you will probably need that to get the SSD working as the boot drive in the end.

Once you have the clone created, the process for getting into the BIOS/UEFI will vary from system to system. In some cases it may actually tell you as you are booting which key to press, but if not a couple common ones I see frequently are DEL or F12.

Sounds good, I will clone it now, I have Acronis installed, that was recommended by Crucial. It s a Dell 8500.