I used this procedure on Windows 8x64 Pro to do a full system backup and all went well. I am backing up my SSD drive to an external USB 3.0 drive. Through what I hope is coincidence, my HD crashed a few weeks later and I was able to restore using my Win 8 restore CD and the backup I had created so I felt pretty comfortable.
I then built myself a new PC (mostly). New case, system board, processor, new ssd drive and added a new 4TB drive while I was at it. Got everything back pretty much the way I want it and thought it would be good to run a system backup again. When I run the same powershell script and it gets to 97% complete and then pukes with a
"Backup of volume C: has failed. The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation.
The backup operation stopped before completing.
Detailed error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".
Error logs show the same message. I had Windows run a hardware scan of each drive even though both are relatively new. No errors found. All are ntfs formatted.
I ran the script again and got the same error message at the same point so the problem does appear to be repeatable.
It almost looks like a hardware issue given the I/O device error and I HAVE changed the system board/ssd drive but hard to imagine a problem like this with an ASUS board and Samsung 840 Pro drive. But never say never. I have googled this but not much luck so far.
I realize the title of this article leads me to believe it is for Win 8.1 which I am NOT running but since it all worked so well previously, seems like it should work again.
One thing I just thought of is on my old PC, I didn't have native usb 3.0 on the system board so I had a usb 3.0 card I had installed. This system board does have native usb 3.0 ports on the system board so I am no longer using that card and I have uninstalled the software needed for that card prior to doing the backup.
I noticed ASUS has a turbo boost feature for its usb 3.0 and it was enabled. Disabled it, rebooted the PC, tried the backup again, still has same error message.
Finally, my old system board had the traditional BIOS but the new one has the new UEFI. The only default setting I have changed is I turned off the splash screen.
I am going to continue to look but certainly welcome all suggestions/thoughts. Thanks!