How do I stop Surface computer from draining battery when shut down

Surface computers running Windows 10 do a lot of housekeeping while supposedly shut down. I have not tested the platform over a multi-day period. But over 10 to 20 hours when unplugged, these activities require an average 0.15 to 0.9 Watts.

As you probably know, it is not practical to remove/reinstall the battery from a Surface PC. And if you go to the Microsoft forums, you will see lots of Surface users pulling their hair out over this drainage.

Most of the time, I’m grateful that my computers take care of this housekeeping while I’m not using them. But sometimes, I know I will be away from the power grid for several days and will need to do work on my Surface that will require a nearly full battery.

I realize there will be some slight drainage. I need a way to ensure that I have a nearly fully charged Surface even after it has been away from the power grid for a few days. In other words, I need a way to virtually remove the battery from the Surface.

Things that I already know don’t work include

• Using the full shutdown command from command line.
  • Doing a hardware shutdown holding the power button down.
  • Disabling fast startup
  • Putting Windows in airplane mode before shutting down
  • Microsoft tier 1 support
  • Microsoft tier 2 support

Sleep study reports don’t show a consistent reason for the activity. Different motherboard drivers turn on while the Surface is shut down.

It is obvious that the Surface doesn’t really turn off with connected don’t understand why that would be an issue if the computer is shut down!

So the issue is that when you shut off the computer, the battery still drains like it does when the computer is turned on?
Unless the computer went into sleep mode instead of shutting down, that should not happen.
How much does the battery drain while it is suppose to be totally shut down?

During the first 15 hours it averages around 0.3 Watts. I cannot offer reliable info for longer periods.

How are you figuring out the the average watts used? To my knowledge, Windows only shows the percentage of battery available and doesn’t list anything in terms of watts.

(Total battery capacity in watt-hours times (percentage of charge at shutdown minus percentage of charge at startup)) divided by( (time of startup - time of shutdown) in hours) equals average watts.

Typical example:
Battery capacity 36 WHr (129600 Joules)
Shutdown 22:00 at 100 percent battery capacity
Startup 08:00 at 90 percent battery capacity

Equals .36 Watts

((36*_W*_hr*(1-0.9))/((24+8-22)_hr)) = 0.36_W

Untitled|671x457

Ok, if you are losing about 10% of battery then that certainly would be a problem.
If it’s only about 1% or so, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.
If your laptop battery is going down while it’s shutdown, that could indicate a problem with the ability of the battery to hold a full charge.
It’s also possible that the BIOS is still doing something on the computer while it’s shut down that is using some battery but that would likely be so small, it would likely be an imperceptible difference in battery drain.
You should be able to open the BIOS settings to see if anything like Wake on LAN, Wake on Keyboard or anything else that might use battery power is enabled.

Thanks, Juistin. Those settings are not available in the Surface Pro bios. Also, I believe the drain descrdibed is characteristic of all Surface Pros. I’m not certain of that. It’s definitely true of many of them.

Hmm. Well I’m not sure what else to suggest them.
I have a Dell laptop so I don’t know much about the Surface Laptops.
I have looked up getting one in the past so I know a bit but that is it.
All I can say is try to find a forum dedicated to Surface Laptops to see if you can find an answer.
Looking online there appears to be a Surface subreddit, a Surface Forums website, Windows Central Surface Forums, and more I found via a Google Search.
Except for HTG and Reddit I don’t know much about the other sites so I can’t say how safe those other forums are. They certainly have more annoying ads but that is sadly pretty normal for many web sites.