It seems to me that we should really listen here to: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Really, what is wrong with credit/debit cards? There are few advantages I see here:
- It is easier to manage multiple accounts.
- You don't need to carry around multiple objects.
- Advertising company #1 (Google) watches every single purchase you make (!)
- You put your eggs all in one basket. If your phone dies/battery drained/gets lost/gets stolen/etc... you are up a creek without a paddle.
- I like having one object which just represents money. I think it should be separate from my cell phone (but perhaps that is just my adherence to the unix philosophy showing through.)
I see no convincing reason to switch, and I think that without a severe amount of annoying propaganda and advertising, this is doomed to fail for the time.