Fed up with Microsoft's stupidity

I have my connection set to Metered. I went to turn off my computer last night and it said “Update and shut down.” I wasn’t even aware that it downloaded updates, but whatever.

But now, I can’t open my start menu, settings, volume control, etc. I have Firefox pinned to the taskbar and that opens fine. Strangely my network icon says no internet, but I’m using that connection to post this. I tried SFC/scannow and it found nothing. I restarted and that didn’t work. I’m going to try safe mode and making another user and chkdsk and re-installing default Windows apps, I’ll let you guys know how that goes.

But my main complaint is, I don’t want Windows to update. I want to only download security updates I select manually, or at least automatically. Is that possible? How do I keep Windows from downloading ANY updates even on a metered connection?

And I heard somewhere that Windows will reserve 7 GB for updates. Is that true? Can I prevent that as well?

I want to control my computer, not wake up one day and let a machine decide for me how my day is going to go (I wasn’t planning on spending all day making my start menu come up, of all things.)

Maybe the writers at How-To Geek can make an article about this. I’m sure a lot of people would benefit.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I restarted again, attempted to go into safe mode by pressing f8 but I guess that doesn’t work anymore because of why…??? But now my start menu opens, and I can open settings, and everything seems okay. I checked and I hadn’t had my connection set to metered, my bad. But still, it still updates sometimes even when it’s definitely on metered, is there a way to prevent that?

Also when I had first got on my PC today, as soon as I moved the mouse the words “Activate windows 10 in settings” or something along those lines were overlayed on the bottom right of my desktop. It went away when I restarted the first time, but the start menu and all still didn’t work then. Still working now though. Is there a way to see if it’s activated and a way to prevent that from happening again?

Open Settings > Update > Advanced Option > tick Defer updates.

To disable update, you can disable the “Windows Update” service from Service Manager (run services.msc). But you know – “Windows 10” and “metered connection” – those two words don’t fit in one sentence. Windows 10 constantly sends user data.

Update defer works for Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, Education, and Windows 10 S. No good for Win 10 Home.

You can try Stopupdates10. http://greatis.com/blog/stopupdates10
So far seems to work well and simple to use.One problem common to all blocking programs MS will change things and updates will start again.This software can update as MS changes the rules.
Riche

With Windows 10 users lost control of Windows updates. With Home you basically have no control, with Pro you can defer updates up to a month.

There is no ultimate edition, and while you have more control with enterprise edition, you can’t purchase that retail.

Great, sounds like no luck… I have Home.

Thanks for the suggestion Riche, I’ll try that!

I thought I heard somewhere that you could block it with a firewall or something?

Perhaps, but if you’re successful, you may be blocking out security updates too.

A bit on a tangent… my near-term goal is to use as many ‘portable’ apps as possible, load them all into a separate partition… so if I ever have to reinstall Windows from scratch, I can minimize the apps and app customizations I have to do. Wonder if others here have done similar?

Thanks for this. This worked exactly as expected.

[quote=“George_77, post:8, topic:78737, full:true”]

Any update or suggestion ?

@Technoid, I am too familiar with the struggle you have. I had tried Windows 10 for a brief time in August 2016. Living in the country, where satellite Internet is the only available option, I had (and have) a strict limit of 15 GB monthly. Naturally, I was horrified as Windows 10 downloaded four gigabytes of updates (that would not even install properly, but were reset) within 48 hours, despite marking my connexion as metered. That computer is currently gathering dust under my bed; I returned to my old Windows 7 laptop (nearly four years old then, over six now) at once.

Alas, Microsoft has embraced the desktop as oversized mobile mentality, and is determined to keep everybody on the bleeding edge with mandatory updates. Perhaps they genuinely forget that some people have not got an Internet connexion that can handle it. In any case, it is one of the many reasons I am boycotting Windows 10. Should I be forced to migrate from my current dependable OS, Linux is the only choice left. It is sad that information technology has got into the state it finds itself.

You can use any OS you want.

Yeah, the functionality to select only the individual updates you want was in Windows 8.1 and earlier.
Windows 10 removed that functionally.
You either get all updates or no updates (if you manage to disable Windows Update).
It sucks, I used that functionality myself.

Yeah, I’m not sure what happened as Microsoft should keep track of the state of broadband usage and data limits worldwide as they are an international company.

So logically the answer is Microsoft did know that and did their update plan in Windows 10 anyway which seems like a weird decision as there are likely a large amount of Microsoft customers where the update plan they used in Windows 10 just causes a lot of trouble and frustration.

In theory their update plan in Windows 10 makes perfect sense, everyone always gets security updates so they have a secure system and everyone runs the same version of Windows so that if a program requires a specific feature of Windows, it’s likely that most users will have the feature update that includes that specific feature already installed.
That would make things easier on developers as they can use/require new features and know that most users can still use their program.
A big problem with previous versions of Windows is that developers tended to not use any of the new features of Windows in their programs because they didn’t want their customers to have to upgrade their OS to use their program.

In reality, things are not that simple even if you want them to be.
I’m sure everyone with a lackluster internet connection would be trilled if they had a better internet connection but in many cases, they cannot get a better internet connection because the lines from a company providing better service to their home don’t exist, their internet providers are dicks like Comcast who impose unnecessary data caps and many other reasons.

There are things that Microsoft could do to stay with their current update plan and make it work better for those without good internet connections.
One of the things they should be able to do is provide feature updates that are significantly smaller then 4 GB.
It’s a bit insane to push out two feature updates per year when they are at least 1GB or higher in size.

That view is not entirely practical as there are situations where you can’t use any OS you want.

If you want/need to use Windows then you should only use one that is currently supported.
Windows 7 will be supported until January 14, 2020.
Windows 8.1 will be supported until January 10, 2023.
Windows 10 will be supported for as long as you are able to install the latest version of it and use it.
If at some point the newest version doesn’t support the hardware your computer has, then the Windows 10 version you have installed will have a few years to use it before you no longer get security updates.
In theory, as long as people can keep updating to the newest Windows 10 version, they will always get security updates so the support life cycle would be longer then the support dates of previous versions of Windows overall but it’s hard to say for sure.
The first version of Windows 10 (retroactively called version 1507) released in July 29, 2015 had support ended on May 9, 2017 except for those on extended support branches of Windows 10 which support for ended in June 27, 2018.

If you were to count each Windows 10 version as a regular version of Windows like Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 are then the support life cycle for them would seem much shorter then previous versions but because they are counted as versions of Windows 10 which are installed automatically and provided for free then the life cycle could be seen as much longer then previous versions of Windows.

You can use an older version of Windows that doesn’t get security updates anymore but it’s risky to do so.

For versions of Windows before Windows 7, it would be hard to even install and run them on modern hardware.

If you want/need to use Mac OS X, then you have to have/purchase an Apple desktop or laptop to use it.

Free OSes likes GNU/Linux based ones have varying support life cycles depending on the one you use.