Download Bios update

Found Bios update on Asus for my motherboard but when it downloads it always goes into a photo program so cannot unzip it or use. Trying to update to win 10 1903 but microsoft help says my bios need updating which is why it fails to install. Any ideas how to solve this, computer is running 1803 version. Any suggestions appreciated.

Assuming you mean that when you click the link on the ASUS website it opens in some photo program instead of downloading. Then you need to go in to your browsers settings and set the browser to download zip files instead of opening them with the photo program.

Helpful information in case you have more questions:

• ASUS motherboard model (so we can find the BIOS file on their website to try downloading it).
  • The browser name and version you are doing the download with.

The Asus motherboard is P8Z77-V-LX loaded when comp built BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0610, 08/05/2012. I know old but has loads of memory and large hard drive and does what I need, not gamer. Running Win 10 version 1803 had update come 1903 failed install oxc1900101-ox30018, Micros soft downloaded a clean version got to 60% failed again. One of their tech guys said it needed a bios update, phoned the guy who built it he didn’t agree, so really lost. 1803 runs fine. Found board on Asus site download to my computer but it just opens in photo program which it did for the Microsoft tech, he just put it on a USB un opened and said change boot and it will do it but how I cannot see, as I cannot see any files. The firm that built it said it is a Microsoft problem and do a clean install. Not sure it is worth that at present time. The download opens in photo after trying to extract . Sorry I am not technical and also over 70 so not that technical. Appreciate your help. Hope this makes sense. Bill

Unfortunately the technician who copied the file to your USB drive was unaware that older ASUS BIOS update utilities cannot extract the update file from the zip archive. Most all modern BIOS update utilities can extract the update file from the ZIP archive automatically.

For reference here are the ASUS step by step instructions for updating your BIOS.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859

From what you’ve written it seems that you are having problems with step 7.

1. Unzip the file and copy it to an USB disk.

Here’s my attempt at an expanded explanation of that step.

1. Open file explorer and select your Downloads folder.
  2. Double click on the BIOS archive you downloaded from ASUS (P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501.zip).
    NOTE: if instead of opening in file explorer the Zip archive opens in another program:
    a. Close the other program
    b. Right click on the BIOS archive
    c. Click on Open with > than then click on Windows Explorer
  3. Right click on the P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501.CAP file and choose Copy.
  4. Insert your USB drive
  5. In the file explorer window that opens, right click in a blank area of the file list and choose Paste
  6. Restart the PC so you can continue with step 8

Now the rest of the steps in the ASUS instructions should work.

FYI - The reason other methods can lead to Microsoft Photos trying to open the file is because Microsoft Photos is set to open files with a CAP extension by default.

Thanks Paul I do understand but when I click open with windows explorer it opens with Affinity photo which is on my computer every time. Whether a zip program would stop this, so will try and fine one and see, will let you know.
Bill

I am wondering whether the Bios update would make any difference as the new version is only 2 years different. As the computer runs fine with versioin 1803 win 10 then perhaps it is not worth the bother. Also in future could try a clean install windows if necessary, if all fails I suppose a new motherboard if the processor can be taken out of this one.

You probably shouldn’t update your BIOS, but sometimes you need to. Here’s how to check what BIOS version your computer is using and flash that new BIOS version onto your motherboard as quickly and safely as possible.

Thanks Keith, As I am only trying to update win 10 then I will try again as the latest Asus Bios for my board is only two years difference. Running version win 10 1803 getting updates for 1903. will try at the week end perhaps again.

As all appears to work fine as it is at present I am told a clean install may work but will loose to many programs for that unless I really have to. Also latest Bios download will not open no matter what I do, goes into a photo program every time.

For doing the ASUS BIOS update, you have a few options:

1. As described in the ASUS P8Z77-V-LX User Manual, you can you the ASUS Update Utility to download and install the latest BIOS version.
    According the User Manual the utility “is available in the support DVD that comes with the motherboard package.”
    So assuming you have a DVD drive and that support DVD then you should be able to install the ASUS Update Utility to quickly and easily update the BIOS version.

2. You can download the ASUS BIOS update file as you are doing and update the BIOS using a USB Flash Drive.

When you download the ASUS BIOS update archive and open it, you should see a Window the is similar to the cropped screen shot here:

Instead of double clicking the file to open it, you should click the “Extract all” button and you should get a window like this one:
FileExplorer-ZipFile-ASUSBIOSUpdate-ExtractAll

At that point click the “Browse…” button.

In the dialog that appears, look for your connected USB device, select it and click select folder.
Then click the Extract button and a new File Explorer Window should appear showing the BIOS update file on the connected USB device.

At this point you need to reboot and press the Delete button as the computer is starting up to open the BIOS Setup Program.

Once there click the “Exit/Advanced” button and click the “Advanced” button to open the advanced BIOS Setup Options.

Then follow the instructions in section “3.10.2 Using the ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utility” of the ASUS P8Z77-V-LX User Manual to update the BIOS using the BIOS Update file you extracted above to the USB Flash Drive.

Note that regardless you the option you use, it’s important to keep a few things in mind when doing any BIOS Update:

1. The BIOS is the first piece of software that runs when you turn your on or reboot the computer.
    When the BIOS has finished it’s on boot tasks, it will then hand control over to the Operating System.
    It’s a possibility that should a BIOS update fail, that your system will not be able to boot and hand over control to the Operating System.
    In that case you would need to restore an old BIOS version if possible, otherwise you will be left with a computer you cannot boot and using or upgrading Windows will be impossible.
  2. Due to the above it’s important that you never interrupt to BIOS Update process.
    Make sure you have reliable power (don’t do the update during a thunder storm where a power outage could occur for example).
    Even if the update process looks frozen, just wait until it says it’s done, don’t turn the computer off just because it looks like the update process is moving slowly or not at all.

In general though a BIOS update with a modern UEFI boot system (any motherboard from the last 5 to 8 years should be using UEFI) should take a couple minutes to do and not have any problems.

Thanks for this info I know I have the original Cd and manuals for my motherboard so will look that out. Appreciate your help thanks.

If this is happening when you:

Then your Windows 10 installation is very badly messed up and you should consider a re-install and possibly not re-installing Affinity Photo which should never override built-in Windows File Explorer functions.

I did a few Google searches and found this support topic where a developer for Affinity Photo said that it doesn’t register the cap and zip file extensions.

So if the person with the problem in that support topic and the person in this topic have this issue, it appear that Affinity Photo is not what is causing the issue.

This can be verified by going to PC Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Set Defaults By App -> Manage Button -> Affinity Photo (will only be listed if it’s installed of course).
If the list that appears doesn’t contain .cap and .zip then Windows 10 will not do any automatic associations for those extensions.

The only other way an app like Affinity Photo could set as the default for extensions that it doesn’t register for is for the user to manually set up the association.

It would be very odd for someone to right click on a zip file, select open with and select a photo tool that can’t open zip files but that would be the most likely way to manually set up that association.

Assuming it is just a few file types that have the wrong associations then the “Windows 10 installation” is NOT “very badly messed up”.
All that needs to be done is to go to PC Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps -> Choose default apps by file type, scroll down to .zip, click the box to the right with the name of the current app associated with .zip files and select Windows Explorer to restore the default association for .zip files.
Unless there is another app available to handle the .cap files then that association cannot be changed.

Note: If anyone found the instructions for navigating the PC Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps section confusing then I’m not surprised, as that is one of the most confusing and messed up sections in the PC Settings app.
Whoever at Microsoft that designed that section did a very poor job and should be ashamed of themselves.
The Control Panel -> Default Programs section in Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 worked fairly well and wasn’t super confusing.
It sucks that Microsoft decided to remove it in one of the Feature Updates for Windows 10 in favor of the terrible PC Settings version.

You’re misunderstanding the situation.

The OP is claiming is that when he chooses Windows Explorer from the Open with context menu (right click) Explorer does not open, instead Affinity photo opens. (Open with bypasses all extension associations)

FYI - that’s the normal way to get a ZIP archive to open in Explorer after you have associated the zip extension with another program e.g 7-Zip, Win Zip

That would indeed be a different problem but I’m not sure that is the OP meant when they said this:

Due to the ambiguous grammar of the above statement, the OP could actually be saying that when they click “Open” in “Windows Explorer” that the file opens in “Affinity Photo”.
Which makes more since to me as I think the OP is actually opening the BIOS Update download ZIP file in Windows Explorer, then right clicking on the BIOS Update file “P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501.CAP” and selecting “Open” which then opens Affinity Photo to handle that file.
I downloaded the BIOS Update ZIP to test stuff out and on my Windows 10 system, opening the .CAP file opens the Windows 10 Photo app which upon opening says “It looks like we don’t support that format”.
It appears Windows 10 likes to associate the cap extension with a Photo app even if the Photo app doesn’t support the file.

I guess to clarify what the OP meant, the OP should say if opening the BIOS update ZIP file opened a Window similar to the screen shot here showing the “P8Z77-V-LX-ASUS-2501.zip” open in “Windows Explorer” or if zip file does in fact open with Affinity Photo…

Note: “Windows Explorer” is called “File Explorer” in Windows 8 and higher.

Right that is the easier way, I should have listed that instead of the Default Apps way.

I know but on both my Windows 10 Pro Desktop and Windows 8.1 Laptop it’s listed as Windows Explorer in the Open with context menu.

Huh, it appears you are correct. That is odd, I guess it’s one spot where Microsoft just forgot to change the name used.
The same is true of the change from “Computer” to “This PC” as there is at least one place that still calls it computer, something that I have sent feedback to Microsoft about but it’s not a top priority so they don’t feel a need to fix it.

I have decided to give up on the Asus download and try installing the win 10 1903 update again but this time with nothing connected but mouse keyboard and turn of anti virus and see if that works. Will do this at week-end when I have time as it takes an age.

Having tried twice more to update to version 1903 get error Oxc1900101-Ox30018 failed first bootphase during Sysprep-Specialize Operation.
My bios must be too old as even from makers latest is only 2014 so will stick with win 10 version 1803 as everything works. Probably need a new computer or another motherboard if things could be transferred. Thanks guys fro your help and suggestions.