Data Recovery... (just a SIMPLE way!)

Hello there! This is my first post, so I hope I get it right :slight_smile:

Okay, here’s the thing, and I would THINK that it should be pretty easy to determine if this is possible. I stupidly deleted a file the other day, a simple audio DTS file, an audio track to a movie. So, I’m thinking it can’t be THAT hard to recover just this one file that I deleted yesterday, right…?

Well… In trying to use all these really trick recovery programs, you know what they are, it’s like MEGA overkill! I just want to find ONE file! And, all these programs seem to do is start scanning an entire DRIVE and spitting out like 50,000 files that go back 5 years! DANG! I honestly do not understand why these programs don’t just let you simply SEARCH FOR THE FILE YOU’RE LOOKING FOR! I mean, wouldn’t the person KNOW which file they deleted and want back, right? So, I run these programs and of course my DTS file isn’t in there, but just about EVERYTHING else is from the last 5 years!

Do any of you know just a nice, SIMPLE way to scan for just ONE lost / deleted file to see if it is recoverable? For the LIFE of me, I cannot understand the massive overkill approach of these programs, and even more so, ones complete inability just to search for the one file (or at least the file type) that one wants.

Thank you all kindly for any suggestions or ideas; I very much appreciate it!

Cheers!

I use Recuva. Small but effective. If you use that Drive/Partition too much after deleting that file then recovery will be impossible.

Thank you kindly mate! I appreciate the fast reply :slight_smile:

Okidoke, I’ll give it a try. HOPEFULLY it won’t just do like the rest and dump like 50,000 files on me. What’s weird though is that you say if you use the drive very much after deleting recovery will be impossible, and yet, these recovery programs are spitting out files from 5 years ago! I wonder how that works…???

Let think a new hard drive as a white paper. You first draw** some lines with red color (i.e. the first file), then draw many lines with many colors (i.e. all files after the first one). Now you want to recover all the red color. How much red color do you get?

** By drawing, I mean like this :grin:

When we press Del those aren’t actually “d-e-l-e-t-e” the file.

Thank you for taking the time to explain further! :smiley:

So you can do virtual data recovery as virtual disk may also prone to corruption sometimes. These tricks helps me to get rid of the severe corruption from the virtual machine.

The reason the programs do this is because it’s not possible to easily locate a specific deleted file.
For each file there is the information about the file (created date, modified date, accessed date, name, etc.) and the data itself.
There is also an index that keeps track of where the file is.
When you delete a file, the pointer in the index is removed and generally so is the file information.
So the file data is there but the system has no idea where to find it or what it is.
Eventually that file data will be overwritten when a new file is put in the same space (sometimes this can happen quickly and sometimes not).
So a data recovery program has to scan the entire drive to look for files that aren’t in the index and also try to find the file information if possible (it’s tricky, it can help if the file data is in a recognizable format so the program knows what it is).
Many times a data recovery program will find some file data but can’t figure out what it is so it’s just listed as some unknown file and sometimes you just see files of a program that was just uninstalled and other unwanted files.

This is one of the reasons that backups are very important, the odds of getting the file data back that you want using a data recovery program are not the greatest just due to how data is stored.