One of the biggest criticisms of Windows 8 is that it defaults to all Metro apps for everything - opening a picture, video, PDF, or many other things. It's very annoying. There's also a lot of other annoyances.
Our own @whs pointed this out in a thread a bit ago...
You can change the default applications, but it's not obvious. Ahah! an idea!
I'm proposing that we create a script that changes all Windows 8 settings by default to be less annoying. Basically, wipe out Metro as much as possible.
First, we need to identify all the metro apps that are set to default, and whether there is another built-in alternative to said application. Or any other fixes we can make.
- Web links open in Metro IE
- Any other file types where Metro apps are set to default.
- Bypass the Start Screen and boot to desktop
- Windows update forcibly reboots your PC (Here's the registry key to change)
- Remove useless default apps
- Disable hot corners for the charms bar
- Download and install the Classic Shell (or start the installer)
- Are there any other settings that we should default to Desktop?
There's gotta be a way to at least make Windows 8 better for non-touchscreen users with a simple script.
@Iszi, @Netpilot, @taygibb let's get on this. (And anybody else that wants to help).