Confusing Article Update

In the article, How to Create a Live Ubuntu USB Drive With Persistent Storage, that was linked in How to Burn an ISO File to a USB Drive in Linux, at the beginning of the section titled, " How to Make a Persistent Ubuntu USB Drive on Windows", the first line states, " Update : We’ve been told this no longer works with the latest versions of Ubuntu. You’ll need to use the above method instead.", then the article goes on to say that Rufus on longer can be used to make a persistent USB “disc” and says to use Linux Live USB Creator instead.

Is this saying that windows can’t be used on the latest versions of Ubuntu (and, hopefully, Mint) at all or just that Rufus can’t be used for that and one can do so with Linux Live USB Creator?

Edit: I posted here because there is no Disqus (or any other) option for comments at the end of the article.

Btw, I have been copying many of these articles to PDFs via LibreOffice Writer and it’s a bit (quite a bit!) tedious due to style and platform mismatches (I have to copy the article into a .odt document as text only, then laboriously replace the formatting, hyperlinks, and images, then fool around with the formatting to get minimize any excessive white space) before exporting to a PDF with the original .odt file embedded (the latter simplifies post editing the PDF).

It would be nice if HTG how-to articles were also available print ready like some websites do. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would find this beneficial.

People are constantly ripping off and re-posting HTG’s articles. I think making them print-ready just makes it easier for content thieves to steal HTG’s content.

Seriously? If they want them, they will get them anyway whether it’s easy or not. :roll_eyes:

Enough on that subject. I’m far more interested in the first part of my post which is asking for clarification of the article I linked.

That is a bit confusing.

I think he’s saying that you can’t use RUFUS. You have to do it the long way, using an existing Ubuntu installation.

It’s pretty clear you can’t use RUFUS at the start of the section but further down, it has a link for LinuxLive USB Creator. If it can’t be used either, why was it left in the article? We need one or both of the authors to chime in or fix the article.

I made a few little changes to clarify. To be clear, the Persistent Storage article previously recommended using Linux Live USB Creator. We updated it with a new method. The Linux Live USB Creator method no longer works (it gives you a bootable drive, but without persistent storage.) The old instructions are left in for historical reasons—technically, they’d still work if you were using a much older version of Ubuntu and they may be of use to someone.

Regarding making articles more print-friendly, we have some plans for that on the roadmap.

So, in other words, it’s no longer possible to create a USB Linux drive with persistent storage from Windows except in older Ubuntu versions?

If you don’t mind may I ask why you want to create a persistent Linux live distro USB drive? Live Linux distro automatically (maximum times) mount or show other partitions or drives. Or install it in dual boot fashion.

A Linux USB drive with persistent storage will allow me to add programs, fool with settings, etc. while playing around with it and not have to reinstall or change them every time I reboot or move the drive to another computer. Read the first link in my first post; it explains it better than I can.

It may be possible with some very complex methods. This was the best-supported solution we could find. Most people won’t need to create a device with persistence, as Biswa points out.

It’s a shame, as this used to be fairly easy, but has become progressively more difficult over time.

One thing can/may be done.

1. Create a live Linux USB drive and boot it.
  2. Grab a free HDD/SSD and plug it in Motherboard.
  3. Mount the partitions of HDD/SSD to it.
    No need to dual boot nor managing EFI.

I have followed this method and at one point MKUSB gives a message that it needs to use “grub-img” *(or something similar). Carried on with the operations and all seem to work OK, although it is very easy to start going through the whole process again because the end messages are very unclear.
However when I tried to boot from the USB stick I got an “ACESS DENIED” message. Any ideas what might cause this?
I have reverted to just a Live Ubuntu Usb created with MKUSB and this works fine.
Thanks