Can't use TV as monitor

Have a 39" SEIKI TV w/3 HDMI connections. PC video card is GeForce 9500 w/2 DVI connections. Have a cable w/VGA to HDMI, and a VGA to DVI adapter. Both vcard connectors work (tested using my current Samsung monitor), but PC signal is not going to the TV. Monitor is VGA, so cable works. I don’t need sound to TV, but can’t even get video to the TV. I have tried everything that Google search has recommended, but to no avail. Do I need to order an HDMI to DVI cable? Is the adapter the problem?

OK, can you tell us, starting from the DVI port on the PC, what connects to where, in sequence, cause the way you’ve described it is a little confusing.

DVI to VGA adapter to VGA side of cable on PC side, VGA to HDMI on TV

it sounds like you are probably taking a digital output (there are different types of DVI ports, some are digital, some are analogue, and some can do both) and converting it to VGA, which is analogue, and then from VGA to HDMI, which is digital.

buy one of these, at the appropriate length, problem solved.

doesn’t need to be that exact one, but your current setup wont work, and a cable like this is exactly what you need, though will not provide sound.

And now that I think about it, a 9500 should have an HDMI port, just get an HDMI cable. That will provide sound.

I suspected I was going to have to do that. Thanks. Once I hook up that cable, will I need to make any software changes, or will I get the same signal on both devices at the same time?

Are you absolutely sure that the VGA to HDMI is an VGA to HDMI? I was sold the wrong one once and even on return they did not believe it was wrong even when I showed them in the documentation that it said “Do not use for VGA to HDMI”. There are two different ones.

Typically the VGA to HDMI includes a sound cable on the VGA end so it then also passes Sound to the HDMI plug.

Notice the sound plug (which I do not use since I use the computers speakers, but it is included as part of the device.

This is correct VGA<->HDMI adapters are directional.

So a VGA to HDMI adapter will accept input from a VGA computer and output video to an HDMI monitor…
And an HDMI to VGA adapter will accept input from an HDMI computer and output video to a VGA monitor.

The other issue here is that, if you’re using a VGA to HDMI adapter, the signal may need to be a specific resolution and refresh rate. You will also need to power the adapter, so look for a USB jack or something similar on the adapter.

This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SCK0XG/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I just ordered: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBF3LYA/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I put the adapter on the VGA end, then plugged it into the DVI port on my video card. The HDMI end is plugged into the TV

The first one states HDMI TO VGA This would be to go from an HDMI output from a laptop to a VGA Monitor and willnot work for what you are trying to do.

The second should work for your purpose.

The current cable was being used on my old PC. “New generic VGA to HDMI Cable M/M” is the description, and I was going from VGA PC to HDMI monitor, and it worked. I then purchased the adapter, switched to the TV, and no go for my newer PC. XHI, you and I are both right, the description has it listed both ways, and since it was working VGA to HDMI, I just assumed I could slap the adapter on and it would work. I’ll have to wait until next Friday, since that’s the delivery date for the new cable, and hope I don’t have to play with any settings, since this is new territory for me. Thanks, all of you, for your insight and help.

Oh, I see what’s going on .

• Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function.

That’s NOT a VGA to HDMI cable. That’s an HDMI-DE15 to HDMI cable. The computer is always putting out an HDMI signal, but using the DE15 port. The reason that’s not working with the DVI converter box is that the DVI converter box would never do something so utterly ridiculous as to try to play HDMI video through a DE15 jack.

I have never heard of a PC video card that will output HDMI or DVI digital over a DE15 jack… but I guess you learn something new every day.

@silverghost63 the new cable you ordered should work the way you want it to. You probably won’t get sound into the TV this way, but I think you already expected that.

@silverghost63, If you don’t mind forking out a little more, I’m wondering if you are better off in the long run by getting a newer budget graphics card with HDMI port. You can definitely find a reasonable GT 7xx or newer GT 1030 card with 2GB RAM for around $60 - $90 using bestbuy as an example. Then you could use a HDMI cable and not worry about compatibility issues. This is what I eventually did when I replaced my dying monitor that only had a VGA/DVI connection and replaced it with a 23 inch Samsung TV a few years back and used just straight HDMI. The Samsung TV had a VGA port as well as an 3.5" audio jack input port for use with a computer which I used for a little bit but always had problems trying trying to set the max video resolution in Windows and Linux. When I upgraded to an HDMI capable video card, it solved many problems and with less cabling. Even an used gaming card with a HDMI port might also be a good option. Also look into your specific GT 9500 model itself. There may be an option to add an HDMI connector via a special internal cable or adapter to it. If the card is capable of audio though an HDMI connection it may be worth looking into.

The cable is under $20, so $$ wise, that’s my best route.

Let us know if it works out. Would be nice if all it takes is about $20 to remedy the problem. If you want to get audio from the computer to the TV, there are ways to do that as well. You probably have a better speaker system set up for your computer anyway. =)

I’ll be using the same speakers I use with the current monitor.

One thing you may not have considered here is resolution. If your TV is the 4k one I found when googling then you aren’t going to get that resolution over VGA or DVI, you will need an end-to-end HDMI or Display connection.

Granted you will still get a picture, but it may not look great at the lower resolution.

I’m not rich enough to afford a 4K TV. :slight_smile:

New cable installed, TV is now working. New problem, though. Using my Samsung monitor, my movies are 16:9 (wide screen), but ALL my movies are 4:3 on the TV. Black on each side of picture. I have searched for, but can’t find, a fix for this. Assuming there is a fix.

Out of curiosity what is the max resolution on that TV?

At any rate you should be able to go into the TV settings and change the aspect ratio.

Well, I just went on youtube and the video’s ARE full screen, so something has happened to my stored video’s. I’ll have to investigate that problem. All of my stored video’s are 4:3 format now, when some were 16:9 earlier.