Can't boot VM from USB

I’m trying to boot Ubuntu on Virtual box from a USB, here’s what I did, and please tell me what went wrong.

I created a Bootable USB drive using Rufus.

I created a virtual Ubuntu system on Virtual Box

I Used David Brenner’s “Virtual machine USB boot”

I started the system and installed it

Once restarted, I found myself back to the installation page giving me the two options to try Ubuntu or install it again, when I closed the installation page I can see that nothing has been installed and the shared files are not there.

Could you please help.

It sounds like Ubuntu’s Persistent Data feature was not enabled.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

BTW, I used a bootable USB drive for Ubuntu for a little while and found the drive wore out very quickly.

Do you want to install a full Ubuntu OS onto the USB drive or onto a virtual hard disk in VBox?
If you installed Ubuntu to a virtual disk then you need to boot from disk 2 and not boot from disk 1 which is the USB drive as set by VMUB. Press F12 in VBOX and select disk 2 as the boot device to boot from the virtual disk.
If you wanted to install Ubuntu onto the USB drive, then you should set the CD drive as the boot drive in VBOX and preload it with the Ubuntu iso. Then attach the USB drive in VBOX and do not use VMUB to boot from the ISO. Do not attach a virtual hard disk.
Once Ubuntu has been installed to the USB drive, you can use VMUB to boot from it.

Why do you want to do this? Why not just create a Virtual Machine on your system drive so you don’t need to do any usb stuff?

With that said, Rufus creates LiveUSBs not System Installed to USB. It will always be an installer USB because that is what Rufus is designed to do. They specifically state in their FAQs that they do plan to build persistence in the future but are not close at all and have not estimate for how long it will be.

I would go back to point out how all of this is needless and you can just put the VM on your system drive.