Automatic driver update software?

I recently bought a refurb desktop with XP.

This will be used for small scale video editing with Roxio Creator 10 pro.

It is an HP with 4 gig memory, Intel 3.4 gig processor, express chipset family.

At best, it runs the video software, at what I call sticky, and it freezes a lot.

Is there a good, and reliable automatic software program, that can search for the updated drivers that I need ? Hopefully a rather cheap, or maybe even a free one available on the internet ?

Thank you to all, and Happy New Year !!!

Bob

@bobnoell I would stay away from driver update software because they are like a box a chocolates: You never know what you’re going to get.

http://www.howtogeek.com/198758/never-download-a-driver-updating-utility-theyre-worse-than-useless/

I think the best course is to see if HP has compatible drivers. You might also look at upgrading your RAM to 8 or 16GB to punch up the performance, especially for video editing.

One last thing: As you know, Win XP is no longer supported, so there is a security risk. You might consider upgrading the OS to Win 7, or higher, assuming the machine is compatible. You would have to buy a license, though.
–P

There are plenty of such type programs out there, but I would advise against using any of them. They generally cause more problems than help anything.

It is always best to go directly to the software or hardware manufacturer’s site, and check for updates manually. It takes a little more time, but you are much less likely to have something cause a headache, plus if something does go wrong you know the source of the problem.

What I do is bookmark my software and hardware sites, and keep them in a folder labeled Updates. I periodically run down the list to see if anything has been updated.

You can update driver in Windows with Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).
Or from officials websites::

1. HP:: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/
  2. Intel:: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

What is the graphic card, or are you using on-board graphics? My secondary desktop only has 4GB RAM, and it’s never been sticky or slow with its PCIE ATI Radeon HD5670 with 1GB DDR5. It plays even very young games with everything set to High. You can get decent cards very cheaply secondhand. If I was having graphics problems, I would look first at the graphic card as that’s the thing that’s doing the work, and its RAM is all its own.
I’ve had mixed experiences with Driver Updater software, but I’d never use anything that did the job automatically, only those that presented a list and allowed me to make a choice. Some such come with trusted free maintenance software (iObit?), but I can’t remember which offhand. As for the actual drivers offered: I have Linux Mint on a separate disc drive on my main Desktop, and the drivers it was given during initial setup were not for my specific card, just the best fit available - and everything worked as well as in Windows with the very specific correct drivers, so whereas drivers are very important, you can use substitutes, as evidenced.
Further, I recently had to reinstall Win 7 on my son-in-law’s fairly young Dell laptop. It was very messy, and very time consuming, and many of the offered drivers were not even for that machine, AND there was nowhere to get (including buying) the original installation discs. You can waste an awful lot of time looking for drivers. If what you are seeing on-screen is good, go down the graphic card route.
And as long as you keep the XP off the internet, you’ll have no problems.
Good luck.

I don’t quite understand. Nvidia will update game related drivers, visual C++ will be updated by either a Windows update, a program/game or myself, other drivers usually come from the actual product (USB or BT device) and all the other drivers from “device manager” are left up to manual installation (I know there is an auto search but I don’t count that as automatic since I have to initiate). So, is there a program that can go through each of the drivers, in order, and choose auto search? If not, then what about some kind of walk around like task scheduler?

Help. Every time I reset my laptop I have to go through all of those driver making sure they are up to date. It is tedious.

So I have an Acer Aspire 515-51G. Your’re saying I should periodically go to the Acer site to check for updates? Is there any benefit to using the former method over just going with the device manager route?

You can update drivers from device manager. It’s well.

That was just an suggestion. It’s my personal preference to download drivers directly from manufacturer website. There may be a tool for auto update, don’t know.

I’m just wondering if the auto search via device manager is equivalent to going to the manufacturer or if there may be a benefit to going to the manufacturers site (i.e the manufacturer has more up to date drivers).

From experience I have found the search engine in Device Manager to be unreliable. I always go directly to the manufacturer’s site.

Ok, but when you manufacture do you mean for software/individual components or like for example in my case Acer?

Acer first then individually if necessary.