Autocad 2006 and Windows 10

I am using Autocad LT 2006 from my administrator profile with Windows 10 since years already and the program works perfectly (though the Autocad people insist that the program doesn’t work with Windows 10…).

Since some months I have, every 2-3 days, to ask Autocad for a validation code, that they give me automatically, based on my license.

Now I have received an email from Autocad saying that they will stop giving me such a code in August because they will no longer support Autocad LT 2006 users, though they acknowledge that I have my license in order.

As my economy doesn’t allow me to purchase another expensive Autocad license, I need to use Windows 10 because it is important for all my other programs and antivirus to keep the system updated, I still think that I have all the right to use my legal license of Autocad, and I know that it is simply not true that the program doesn’t work with Windows 10, because it does, I wonder if anybody else has faced this situation and if there can be a solution for my system to stop asking to renovate the code of Autocad constantly.

Thank you in advance

I would assume they mean they don’t support using it on Windows 10.
If they actually assume that it won’t work without testing it themselves then it’s stupid to say it won’t work.

That seems weird as that is way to short a time period to need the license code re-entered.

That seems like a bad thing to do, even if they don’t support the old version, they should still let you use that old version.

I’m unclear why you have to reset AutoCAD every three days. Would you have to do this on Windows 10?

I’ve seen something similar with 3D Studio, where the resident program used to enable the license check didn’t work on a newer operating system, even though the application worked just fine.

Honestly, the only solution I can think of for this is to look for a crack for the software to disable the license check. That’s not a path I recommend (and we can’t give any suggestions on where to download the crack here), so that should be a last ditch effort.

I assume you’ve already attempted to find a resolution with Autodesk? I am guessing they basically told you to pay for an upgrade.

One other option you could consider is to install VirtualBox and a Windows XP virtual machine to run your older software; that will be a little slower than running it directly, but it may allow you to keep working without needing to deal with overly restrictive license issues.

That shouldn’t happen, according to the support article Reactivate a Perpetual License.
It says the causes for license invalidation are:

• Significantly changing the primary boot disk
  • Changing too many hardware components at once (hard drive, graphics > card, RAM, NIC, etc.)
  • Modifying the activation services or the software license files
  • Modifying the system date or time properties on a computer that has a time-limited software license
  • Reinstalling your operating system
  • Using the License Transfer Utility to export a license from a computer and then trying to run that product on the same computer
  • Installing from a hard disk image, created using Ghost or another cloning software package, where the original Master Boot Record was included in the image
  • Your subscription or maintenance plan has expired

As it appears you haven’t done any of those things then the license shouldn’t be invalidated for you at all let alone every few days.

I would say so.
I just looked at their site and they are currently charging $1,610.00 per year to use AutoCAD.
There is a 25% discount at the moment that takes it down to $1,207.50 per year but that is still quite high.
There is also the $200 per month plan but that is a lot too.

I have heard about AutoCAD software before but I didn’t know how expensive it is.

thanks to both of you!
I will check the ‘reactivate a perpetual license’ article.
Autocad people just simply don’t bother to help, even though after speaking to them they of course send always the typical email to check if you are satisfied, when they only repeat like a mantra that Autocad LT 2006 and Windows 10 don’t work together… No matter how I repeat that the program works perfectly, it seems I am talking to a robot!

I just googled AutoCAD LT 2006 system requirements and found this blog post with the system requirements for AutoCAD 2006.
They are:

• Intel Pentium III or later with 800Mhz Processor
  • Microsoft Windows XP (Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition), Windows 2000
  • 512 MB RAM (minimum)
  • 500 MB free disk space
  • 1024x768 VGA with true colour (minimum)
  • Mouse or other pointing device
  • CD-ROM drive
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1

I didn’t realize it was originally for Windows XP, glad that it still works on Windows 10.
Unfortunately. I think @wilsontp is correct with the idea that AutoCAD 2006 works just fine on Windows 10 but the license manager doesn’t work correctly on Windows 10.

Microsoft builds fairly sophisticated backwards compatibly tools into the latest versions of Windows so that programs like AutoCAD 2006 still work.

However because license checking programs try to dig themselves into the OS to avoid any tampering by the user, it’s not always possible to come up with a way to make them work on newer versions of Windows.
Like if it uses a driver to directly work with the kernel in a way that is not possible in future versions of Windows as a new security feature will block it from working.

So in effect because the license checker is not entirely compatible with Windows 10 and AutoCAD requires it to provide proof that the license is valid then AutoCAD indirectly becomes incompatible with Windows 10.

AutoDesk might be aware that it’s just the license checker that doesn’t really work well on Windows 10 and it could be a relatively simple patch to make the program work but business wise it’s not worth the effort as it gains them nothing but requiring users buy a new version gains them more money.

From another point of view, it would just be nice to treat their customers well even if they don’t make money doing so but businesses don’t usually go for that unless they get good PR or reduced taxes by doing so.

However, there might be a way to workaround this problem, assuming AutoCAD will still let you reactivate the license again (if they decided to stop entirely then likely nothing can be done).

As mentioned by @wilsontp, you might be able to run AutoCAD on Windows XP inside of a Virtual Machine.

Virtual Machines are created via virtualization programs like Hyper-V and VirtualBox that emulate the hardware of a real computer to create a virtual machine you run on your real computer running Windows 10 that runs another OS like Windows XP where you can install a Windows XP program and use it in that virtual machine.

Because it’s a virtual machine running on your actual machine, things will work a little slower.

If you want to try this then you need a virtualization program installed and a CD with Windows XP on it along with a Windows XP license key to use in the virtual machine.

When Windows 7 Pro was released Microsoft actually provided a virtual machine they created with Windows XP already installed and ready to use to run older programs called “Windows XP Mode” which was easy to install and use.

Sadly, Microsoft didn’t keep this feature in Windows 8 and Windows 10 as it could still be useful to many people.

Uf, it’s becoming complicated…I will check all this (I am not such a virtuous user…)
I still do think that Autocad should treat their clients better so if you know how I can complain about this in a different way than speaking to a ’ robot-like’ department/person, please, let me know

thanks

We here on the HTG forums can link to guides and/or help you with setting up a virtual machine if you want to.
I know it’s a bit complicated for those that have never used virtualization software before but it should be possible to do.
i guess the question then would be how far to you want to go to try to get AutoCAD 2006 working with a host OS of Windows 10.

Yeah, I think that about AutoDesk and many other businesses out there should treat their customers better but for many that just isn’t the case.

Another thing to try is looking online and seeing if there are alternative CAD programs out there that will do what you need to do.

Sadly, there likely isn’t a way to do so.
Some businesses just don’t want complaints or even feedback in general for whatever reason.

I see…
I will check if I can find someone in my context who can help me with what you suggest of the virtual machine
UFFF!!!