2012 PC afraid to upgrade to 10

I upgraded a work computer and it crashed so I never did that with my home computer due 100% that I would not be able to pay for tech help.

So here we are. My computer is a 2012 gaming with Windows 7.
The hard drive is nearly full so installing anything new I don’t see how I can do that.

But all this talk about Upgrades for 7 ending Jan 1 is scaring me. So, i am not sure what my choices are at this point.

And programs, i will not be able to use with 10 because of the Adobe, Word etc prefers receiving a monthly subscription rather than a license. =(

But having a working PC is more important than a few programs. So what can i do?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Before going into Win OS upgrading, I’d like to touch on apps first. Seems Microsoft is moving more and more to the subscription model. But sometimes, I like the software versions that I already have and don’t want forced upgrades! So, just like with backing up my data files, I also back up my app installation/setup files (files that allow me to reinstall my apps). Once you have made backup sets of your installation files and your data files, you can…

1. Upgrade your Win 7 PC to Win 10. If it works, and runs smoothly, great! Chances are you can still run the apps you’ve got. No worries about being forced onto new-fangled subscription apps if you don’t want to.

2. If #1 should fail… maybe consider buying a new computer. 2012 is a long time ago. In any case, you can reinstall your apps from your backup’s. Once you’ve got your system just the way you like, be sure to make a system backup (along with regular data backup’s) - to make any future reinstallations a breeze.

I didn’t know that you could save your installation files. How do you do that or nevermind I’ll go and look for it on the forum. Thanks for the advice and so quickly have a great day

Before you do anything, create a SYSTEM IMAGE BACKUP. Most of us use Macrium Reflect Free for that task: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree & be sure you create the bootable CD so you can do a restore should it be necessary. Then go ahead and allow MS to upgrade you to Win 10. IF it fails, you just boot to the CD & restore your Win 7. If the upgrade works, then immediately create another image backup of the new system. You do NOT want to store the backup(s) on your main © drive, since they will be overwritten when you upgrade. Either a second internal, or an external drive is best. You can even use a thumb drive, but it must be the same size (or bigger) than the amount of data that’s on your C drive.

1 Like

I’ve reread this thread. Considering the computer is seven years old with a hard drive that’s “nearly full” - I would suggest backing up your data files and your apps setup (installation) files - and buy a new computer for more modern specs and bigger drive space.

But if you are on a budget or just plain don’t wish for a new PC, then after backing up as above to a separate drive, make sure your old PC has enough space on its hard disk for Win 10 to download and install – 32 GB minimum.

Doing a system backup will easily get you back to “status quo”, should there be any mishap. But IMHO, since “status quo” means an old computer running Win 7 with very little space to spare, it’s untenable anyway. I would skip the system backup and just move forward with my apps/data backup’s… either upgrading (if enough disk space) or buy new. BUT this does mean ‘burning the bridge’. My two cents.

I’m using a 10 year old desktop, and have had NO problems going from 98SE through 10, and had NO driver problems on the way.

My experience is that you need a MINIMUM 22GB free space to upgrade. I’ve upgraded a half dozen different laptops & PC’s, and as long as there was at least 22gb of free space, there were no hiccups.
If the current drive does NOT have that much free space, I suggest you buy a HDD (or SSD) that’s at least 25GB larger than the current drive is, then CLONE the current drive to it. THEN do the upgrade.
GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

Appreciate all the experienced advice from everyone.
I would love nothing more than to spend a couple thou. on a gaming laptop. but since that is, lol , not feasible at this time - I like what you had to say mr. ghost.

An SSD external but I do have an 8gig thumb
I do have an external not SSD but it stopped working years ago, I don’t know what’s up with that.

I will carefully consider my options and appreciate any more ideas from anyone

You were running the 10 year old Windows 98 Second Edition in 2009, wow.

The vast majority of users moved to XP well before then (XP was released in 2001).

As a tech, I have to know each system, so, yes, I did have 98SE on a 10 year old PC (which was new at the time I did it).