1809 update broke

Since I regularly create IMAGE backups (Macrium Reflect), I don’t need the recovery partition that Windows tries to create. My Win10 is on a 64gb SSD, ONE partition (no recovery partition). When I attempted the 1809 update, it created a recovery partition. I can find no way to stop this action. I restored the 1803 image backup, and will NOT update unless there’s a way to prevent Windows from creating that partition, along with stopping it from creating the windows.old file. Can this be done, or is Microsoft screwing us, AGAIN!

Geek forever :trophy:

The recovery partition is generally <1GB. Is there any issue with that partition? Windows need that.
I didn’t try to delete that partition. But you can test something. Let Windows 10 create that partition. Then after full installation delete that recovery partititon.

AFAIK, there is no way to prevent the creation or update of the recovery partion or saving of the rollback data file. Since probably less than 0.001% of Windows users bother with full disk image backups and/or have less than 128G of disk space it seems unlikely they will add that option.

That’s exactly the reason I maintain up-to-date image backups. I am reading that the 1809 update is wiping out profiles on some computers (documents, photos, music, etc.) I would be very leery of trying to update at this time.

Paul, the only way I was able to prevent the creation of the recovery partition is to do a VIRGIN install. If you do an UPDATE, it creates it and the windows.old file. I just did a virgin install when 1803 came out, and it took me a week to set things up the way I want it. I don’t want to go through that hassle again.

Isn’t that a little like saying that Ford is screwing you because they won’t sell you a car with no left side doors just because you are the only one in the world that wants it that way?

Every time you talk about a virgin install it makes me think of this :smile: :

“Update” from older version clearly NOT recommended.

Newer version was release with fixes.

Has anyone here used KFR?

Kentucky Fried Rabbit?

Known Folder Redirection

How do you plan on “not updating”? Not siding with MS, but here, resistance is futile (unless you have the Win 10 Enterprise). For something as innocuous as a tiny recovery partition, I highly suggest learning to live with it – to keep your sanity, if nothing else.

Stuff like this is why I detest Apple. But I think MS is still a lot more flexible, even if it too is going toward Apple’s way. Sigh…

I didn’t say I wouldn’t update, just not through the “rush” method. If I wait for the “push”, it won’t create the recovery partition, at least 1803 didn’t. I installed 1709 via the downloaded ISO, and I partitioned the SSD as 1, and since I had no existing OS on the drive, it installed 1709 without creating the recovery partition. I attempted to upgrade to 1809 via the “rush” method, and MS decided to do it as if I was using a DVD, instead of the usual update method, thus creating the extra partition. As of now, I am still not able to get MS to send me the upgrade/update (whichever term you prefer) via the update channel, so I will have to wait.

I use KFR so that my documents/pictures/videos are on my 500G HDD instead of my 128G SSD. Didn’t get 1809 so didn’t experience the problem, if I had my files deleted it would not have been a big problem I’d just restore the files from the NAS or offline backups.

Is this hard to set up? I can manually do it for certain directories in File Manager but it’s more of a pain. I have a 1 TB HDD drive for data and Windows on a 480GB SSD. It especially gets difficult after I do a fresh install to re-link these directories on the HDD fo my home directory on the SSD.

No it’s super easy.

Right click any of the special folders in file explorer and choose Properties. Choose the Location tab and then click the Move button.

Cool. Is is possible to re-link to an existing folder on the other drive let’s say something comes up and you have to reinstall windows and recreate the account? Do I have to recopy the relevant folders from the HDD back to my home directory on the SDD and then move it all over again using the process you mentioned?

Up until a few minutes ago I would have had to say I don’t know for sure but I think you can re-link after a clean install because the original move allows choosing an existing folder and also allows you to not move the existing files if you want.

I am literally in the process of re-setting up after using the Fresh start feature (thanks Chris for the great article https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-easily-reinstall-windows-10-without-the-bloatware/). I found that the relocation’s where still setup on the cleaned installation.

Since I haven’t used the Videos folder I decided to experiment. I put a couple files in the folder and then used the Restore Default feature to move that special folder back to C:. After a quick reboot (my, after 2 years of haphazard usage, 45s boot time is back to the original 15s now) I created a folder named Videos on D: and put a couple files in it. Then I used the change location feature and chose the new folder. Windows moved the files from C: to D: while leaving the existing files in place.

Thank you for using the phrase “fresh install” :rofl: CC. @larrylmitchell

If you want to do that in an easy step you can go with symbolic link (or geeks say ‘Reparse point’). It just need one command mklink /d. One batch file would be enough.

If you do that in Windows style make a registry file. Whenever you install Windows freshly just run that REG file and reboot. Done!

nice post, thank you very much