Originally published at: http://www.howtogeek.com/169994/how-to-protect-your-pcs-hardware-from-static-electricity-when-working-on-it/
Whether you’re building your own computer, installing new RAM, or upgrading your PC’s components, you’ll be opening it up and touching sensitive electronics components. While doing this, you should be careful of static electricity, which can harm your computer.
Some people may claim they’ve never followed any of these procedures and have never damaged any hardware. This is probably true, but they’re the lucky ones.
Yay! Me lucky!
Does wearing rubber shoes help?
I have a grounding strap, ut seldom use it. I like you mentioned just touch the metal on the case before touch each seperate component.
Some days are worse than others for static. If you get zapped getting out of the car, use the strap or extra caution while working on your PC
NSDCar5: I don't know about rubber shoes, but a rubber ducky might help!
Does touching the case not work if it's not plugged into a grounded outlet? I live in an old house that doesn't have grounded outlets.
Meh, whatever. I always wear Crocs, so that would be why I never got a shock.
I cannot believe anyone that knows anything about computers would suggest leaving it plugged in. What have you been smoking? Grounded base or not, leaving the system plugged in is the absolute worst thing you can do. Not only can you ruin components there is a high risk of electrocuting yourself.
YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN. You need to be on the same grounding level as your PC and that involves constantly touching your PC or getting a static wristband.
Leaving it plugged in and grounded causes more harm than good, especially with freak shocks.
This topic is now closed. New replies are no longer allowed.